The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-I have a 125 gal tank that is about 4' long WITH a cabinet cover on top.
-It looks like I will have only about 6" of height room for the light fixture so i need to find a setup that is pretty thin and also i plan to put dicus fish in it. Im a newbie when it comes to how much light and wpg as i read so many articles on here that i have just been overwhelm and have NO clue where I should start. Can any of you help me out? thank you! I was wondering how many lights would I need and anything else like timer? ect ect

·
Registered
751 Posts
What's the height of the tank and are looking for high light or low light setup? 125G and 4' sounds like a tall tank, first thought metal halides or a quad t5ho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its 4' in length and 2.5-3' in height, when i put the top fish tank cover over the tank it looks like i have only about 6" height of room to put a light in. can you give me a quick tip on why go high light or low light setup? thank you for your help!

·
Registered
751 Posts
High light vs low light completely depends on where you want to go with the setup. Some plants demand lots of light, CO2, fertilization, etc (more work, greater selection of plants). Low light setup - need to carefully pick the plants, otherwise light hungry plants will melt.

If you want high light with your setup, I would guess you would need minimum 4-bulb t5HO or Metal Halides. Low-light - 2 bulb T5HO should probably be good enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts