The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help Finding High Light Plants.

613 3
I am setting up a tank and I would like to get all high lighting plants but I am finding it hard to find a good site that allows you to view by light requirements or has a huge asortment. I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. For back ground on the tank it is a BioCube 14G and I have the additional light kit on it from when it was a slat water tank so I can either run 3.4WPG or 5.1WPG. (I'm thinking 5.1 for a month or two till it really grows into it's self and then I can remove a bulb and float it nicely)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
I think the high light plant requirement is a myth.
2 watt/s a gal, there is simply no plant I cannot grow and grow well.
I think after 300-400 species, I have enough experience to back this up.

Adding more light just means I take a plant that grows 2" a week and now it will grow 4-6" a week, I really do not want that, more light = more CO2 demand which makes balancing CO2 much harder, particularly if you care about the fish.

1.5-2w/gal of T5 light is plenty for anyone' horticultural goal.
If all you care about is extremely high rates of growth, then by all means.......

but that's about the only case.
And unlike w/gal, I actually have a use a PAR meter to measure and test light.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the high light plant requirement is a myth.
2 watt/s a gal, there is simply no plant I cannot grow and grow well.
I think after 300-400 species, I have enough experience to back this up.

Adding more light just means I take a plant that grows 2" a week and now it will grow 4-6" a week, I really do not want that, more light = more CO2 demand which makes balancing CO2 much harder, particularly if you care about the fish.

1.5-2w/gal of T5 light is plenty for anyone' horticultural goal.
If all you care about is extremely high rates of growth, then by all means.......

but that's about the only case.
And unlike w/gal, I actually have a use a PAR meter to measure and test light.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Well put and thought out answer thank you. For me the biggest reason for going with the high lighting plants was assuming that they would grow slower even with the massive T5 wattage I'm putting out. My educated guess is that a plant would grow under the appropirate CO2 and fert levels about as following:

low lighting plant
(n * 1) in low light
(n * 3) in high light

high lighting plant
(n * .3) in low light
(n * 1) in high light

So following that math would it not be safe to assume that having as much light in my tank as I will have that it won't over grow it's self as fast or require more CO2 to keep the Algae down if the plants are growing at a slower rate?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.