The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18 gallon tank. Recently I started noticing fish were getting rounder, putting on weight, scales protruding, red spots in the stomach area and deaths. :icon_cry:

I am sure its DROPSY disease. How can I treat it?

I have a well balanced tank change water twice a week each time 25%, I have Co2, temp.23-24 with chiller, use RO minerals added to raise TDS, no algae, snails are fine. Two weeks ago I added 5 ottos may be they triggered the disease coz 2 of them died within a week.

I have rare mosses in that tank so I cannot use just any medicine coz it has to be plant and invert safe. Therefore I have few options.

What can u suggest to treat the Dropsy problem?

I have right now in the medicine cabinet for fish only JBL Furanol 2 and Seachem Paragard. What is better to treat this disease?

Please help guys my fish who are more than a year old have started dying like crazy this never happened to me before.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dropsy is very hard if not nearly impossible to treat, it is usually caused by poor water quality and or something wrong with the fish, sometimes it just happens but if all of the fish suddenly contracted it it could be something wrong with your water, probably the best thing to do is a water change and have stable water and temp conditions, and also crossing your fingers. Good luck

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks yesterday I bought JBL Ektol fluid. Also made the necessary arrangements and set up the hospital tank with internal filter (spare) took some used floss from the planted tank filter transferred the water from the planted tank to the hospital tank. Simultaneously added new water to the planted tank. I'm running the hospital tank for a day bef.I transfer the fish.
I have guppies and rasbora henkle's lost most of the mature fish.

I think may be the low temp.23 deg. caused an outburst of dropsy!

My tanks are very clean and well maintained. I change water twice a week and vacuum the substrate as much as possible. Once in two weeks trim the plants check the Nitrates, Phosphates, PH, GH, KH. I have a HM digital TDS meters and check the TDS before and after everywater change. So I cannot think of anything except the temperature.

Yesterday I raised the chiller to 24 degrees and after 4 days to 25 degrees to give the plants time to adjust to the change.

Anyways I'm moving all my fish today to the quarantine tank and start medicating immediately. I will inform about the progress

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a few days of treatment I can say the medicines are working. I am glad the fish deaths stopped those who were sick are showing improvement the color and appetite has returned. Fish are swimming and seem to be happy no fish is on the bottom or at the top of the tank without moving. I will make another 50% water change and continue with the treatment to be 100% sure that the fish have recovered and only then return them to the planted tank with proper accimilation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts