The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine recommended this forum.
I have a 55g tank with two 54W T5 bulbs. Based on some recommendations, I am using Flourish Excel to supplement CO2 and bought dry fertilizer. I need to know how much fertilizer and excel to add and how often for my tank.
I have dry Plantex CSM + Born, Potassium Nitrate and Mono Potassium Phosphate i just received from Planted Aquarium Fertilizers.

Plants I have:
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Microsorum pteropus (Java Fern)
Hygrophila difformis (Water Wisteria)
Hygrophila balsamica
Hydrocotyle 'japan'
Marselia minuta
Hemianthius micranthemoides (Giant Baby Tears)
Micranthemum umbrosum

Fish:
about 14 fish total.....australian rainbows, few angels, small pleco

the tank has been fully cycled for awhile.
plants are doing okay but not great with only excel.

I currently change about 30% of water bi-weekly.
Lights are on for approx 8 hrs per day.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thx!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Have a look in the Fertilizer Forum here and read the sticky at the top.
I would start with the Estimative Index method. This means adding plenty of fertilizer so the plants are not short of anything they need.
Once you get going on that, you can make adjustments to the amounts of each fertilizer and the scheduling.

Have a look in the Lighting Forum for more details about your light. Look up information about PAR to see if yours is a high light tank, or medium light. T-5 bulbs are pretty good, and are usually sold with a decent reflector, so I suspect your plants are going to need a lot of CO2 and fertilizer with as much light as you have. Some research can help you here.

·
Registered
852 Posts
There is a guy with he screen name "wet" I am not sure if he is here.....probably. I know he is a member of SCAPE. He has some great calculators online for everything that has to do with fertilizers. He has taken the math out of the equation for those of us?....challenged!
Look him up
You will find it by searching "wets calculator"

Thanks again Wet :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.