The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently rescaped my 5gal and added a few different types of plants. I also currently have a betta and nerite in it as well. Tonight I’ve discovered that I have a huuuge detritus outbreak in my tank. I’m worried for my inhabitants! Someone please explain to me the best way to kill off the detritus

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I’m also looking into some kind of chemical perhaps, but not sure which to go with. Found a variety of suggestions after doing some research but am not sure what exactly is the safest

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
If you insist on using additives a bacteria in a bottle blend made for sludge removal is your safest bet. It can cloud the water a little bit. You're going to want to let it sit in the tank for 24-48 hours then do a thourough water change and rinse your filter media in the waste water. If you're battling algae at all I'd scrub that a little too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’ve recently rescaped my 5gal and added a few different types of plants. I also currently have a betta and nerite in it as well. Tonight I’ve discovered that I have a huuuge detritus outbreak in my tank. I’m worried for my inhabitants! Someone please explain to me the best way to kill off the detritus
Detritus outbreak? Can you describe it? Detritus is what normally settles at the bottom of the tank...do you mean diatoms?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you insist on using additives a bacteria in a bottle blend made for sludge removal is your safest bet. It can cloud the water a little bit. You're going to want to let it sit in the tank for 24-48 hours then do a thourough water change and rinse your filter media in the waste water. If you're battling algae at all I'd scrub that a little too.
I figured I might as well try some kind of additive because I wasn’t sure if a thorough vacuum would completely do the trick.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yeah np. My understanding of detritus is that they are the little wriggling white worms that are all over the sides of my aquarium and substrate as well.
Lol those are detritus worms. Detritus is the broken down organic matter they live in. The only way to get rid of the worms is to vacuum up the detritus frequently and keeping very clean conditions to starve the ones you have. There are some types of fish that eat them but none are consistent about it. I know they're ugly but at least they aren't harmful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol those are detritus worms. Detritus is the broken down organic matter they live in. The only way to get rid of the worms is to vacuum up the detritus frequently and keeping very clean conditions to starve the ones you have. There are some types of fish that eat them but none are consistent about it. I know they're ugly but at least they aren't harmful.
Ahh okay! Thanks so much. I’m new to the hobby so I really appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
No problem!! Welcome to the hobby. Detritus and the worms that come with it is something I think just about every aquarist runs into and freaks out about when they start out. It's normal and you'll get used to handling it. On reddit I saw a pic of someone that has made peace with their detritus worms and they actually sit in the mulm looking like garden eels. I was fascinated. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get this under control just have a little patience.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Thanks! I’m also looking into some kind of chemical perhaps, but not sure which to go with. Found a variety of suggestions after doing some research but am not sure what exactly is the safest
Wish I had a chemical for the dog poop I have to pick up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.