The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So been messing around with my new co2 system so today when the timer switched off the system was still shooting bubbles and I know it sometimes takes 30mins to and hours to fully get the remaing gas out of the tubes

But I checked after 2 hours maybe a little more and I was still getting some good bubbles in the bubble counter

What do I do?
Do I have a faulty solonoid or needle valve?

This is my system here

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
What I've read and been told is that there's probably dirt in the solenoid. I had this same issue too. I was told to turn up the metering valve so more co2 was flowing and then plug in the solenoid for 3 seconds and then unplug. Do this two or three times and it should be good. Continue to watch it and if it doesn't work try it again. It worked for me the first time.

Good luck. I also have a matheson 3810. Beautiful units. :)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Your Matheson has a built in filter, and I'm guessing that Burkert is fairly new, so I'm stumped how you got dirt in it. Try Bk's method first, if that doesn't work, then remove the needle valve and jack up the pressure and repeat. Who sold you that anyways?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your Matheson has a built in filter, and I'm guessing that Burkert is fairly new, so I'm stumped how you got dirt in it. Try Bk's method first, if that doesn't work, then remove the needle valve and jack up the pressure and repeat. Who sold you that anyways?
When you say remove the needle valve do you mean unscrew the top part all the way till that adjuster thing is completely off
Or actually take off the unit and run the co2 is that what you mean? Sorry co2 rookie lol

I got this unit from superfame on scape.org but he sells units here and on the Barr report

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I've read and been told is that there's probably dirt in the solenoid. I had this same issue too. I was told to turn up the metering valve so more co2 was flowing and then plug in the solenoid for 3 seconds and then unplug. Do this two or three times and it should be good. Continue to watch it and if it doesn't work try it again. It worked for me the first time.

Good luck. I also have a matheson 3810. Beautiful units.

What should I be looking for the bubbles to stop flowing Through the bubble counter? Or for it to completely stop?

I agree this unit is a beast

·
Vendor
147 Posts
Cut off Teflon tape. (Small piece)

If simply blowing it out doesn't work, you'll need to take the solenoid apart. It's not hard, you do need the right torx bit though. The seller can walk you through it if need be.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What should I be looking for the bubbles to stop flowing Through the bubble counter? Or for it to completely stop?

Just do that a few times and then run the unit like normal. The bubbles should stop in the first 15 minutes after the solenoid is turned off. I would say much sooner than that but I'm being generous.

When I first had this problem bubbles were still coming through the counter in the morning when I woke up. The solenoid would turn off around 9 pm the night before.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Cut off Teflon tape and put it where?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Just do that a few times and then run the unit like normal. The bubbles should stop in the first 15 minutes after the solenoid is turned off. I would say much sooner than that but I'm being generous.

When I first had this problem bubbles were still coming through the counter in the morning when I woke up. The solenoid would turn off around 9 pm the night before.

Thank you for your replies bk so I didn't that technique and bubbles are still coming out of the bubble counter

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If simply blowing it out doesn't work, you'll need to take the solenoid apart. It's not hard, you do need the right torx bit though. The seller can walk you through it if need be.

What part should I unscrew here to blow out? Or add Teflon tape to?

Thanks for all the help Guys

Attachments

·
Vendor
147 Posts

All you should need to do to try and blow it out is this:

Remove bubble counter and diffuser from tubing

Open the metering valve all the way

Turn the regulator pressure all the way up

Plug the solenoid in and let it go for a second and then unplug it. Do this a few times.

Then check to see if it's still leaking.

If it's still leaking through the solenoid, you'll need to do this:

Remove coil from solenoid (the nut holding on the part you can plug in)

That will expose 4 torx screws, remove those (be careful not to loose anything and note how it comes apart so you can put it back the same way)

Look at the end of the plunger and the top of the oriface. There will probably be a spec of something keeping it from sealing all the way.

Edit - just out of curiosity, did your regulator arrive in a flat rate box? And if so, was a gauge bent?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

All you should need to do to try and blow it out is this:

Remove bubble counter and diffuser from tubing

Open the metering valve all the way

Turn the regulator pressure all the way up

Plug the solenoid in and let it go for a second and then unplug it. Do this a few times.

Then check to see if it's still leaking.

If it's still leaking through the solenoid, you'll need to do this:

Remove coil from solenoid (the nut holding on the part you can plug in)

That will expose 4 torx screws, remove those (be careful not to loose anything and note how it comes apart so you can put it back the same way)

Look at the end of the plunger and the top of the oriface. There will probably be a spec of something keeping it from sealing all the way.

Edit - just out of curiosity, did your regulator arrive in a flat rate box? And if so, was a gauge bent?
Yes it did come in a flat rate box one of the gauges was bent and he sent replacement swaglok guages. Is that part of the trouble l?

·
Vendor
147 Posts
Yes it did come in a flat rate box one of the gauges was bent and he sent replacement swaglok guages. Is that part of the trouble l?
I think it's just part of the learning curve for new builders. :)

It seems like everyone who sells regulators goes through this. It sucks spending $20 to ship a regulator in a big enough box but it sucks worse when it doesn't show up in perfect condition.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it's just part of the learning curve for new builders.

It seems like everyone who sells regulators goes through this. It sucks spending $20 to ship a regulator in a big enough box but it sucks worse when it doesn't show up in perfect condition.
It wasn't exactly packed great lol but
Do you think it's broken?

I'm going to try what you said to do

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really doubt it's broken. Just try blowing it out. If that doesn't work and you don't feel comfortable taking the solenoid apart you really should contact the seller to see if they will help you out.
Thank you for all your help co2 art I have read great things about your customer service and how great it is. This just proves how great your service is giving advice for a product that wasn't purchased from you

I will be doing the instructions that you gave me and will keep this thread updated as I do

I hope you will be able to pop in again for more help
- Miguel

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Josh is talking about a piece of teflon tape that could get stuck in there *very rare*, in which case you would just have to take apart the solenoid to blow it out. You just take the needle valve off so the dirt doesn't blow into it.

You don't really need to take it apart, not like this.

You just need to give the dirt an exit. Like this:

Jack up the pressure, turn it on and off for a few seconds.

PS- If that doesn't work, we need to dig deeper and look at other things like the plunger.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone's help I took apart the solinoid all the way to the need valve and turned on the main valve and blew it out I'm guessing there was some dirt or some tape in it because the bubbles stops within like 10 minutes

I can't express how happy I am it worked out

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks to everyone's help I took apart the solinoid all the way to the need valve and turned on the main valve and blew it out I'm guessing there was some dirt or some tape in it because the bubbles stops within like 10 minutes

I can't express how happy I am it worked out
You're welcome :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts