The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello so I gave the aquatek mini co2 regulator with the solenoid. Everything is working fine except it will not turn on with my timer. I have it set to turn on an hour before the lights do. What is the issue? It turns off just fine. It also sometimes just slowly diminishes in pressure. Sometimes it will be running at 45ish psi and the bubble counter will just go to zero bps. Don’t know if these could be related.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Hello so I gave the aquatek mini co2 regulator with the solenoid. Everything is working fine except it will not turn on with my timer. I have it set to turn on an hour before the lights do. What is the issue? It turns off just fine. It also sometimes just slowly diminishes in pressure. Sometimes it will be running at 45ish psi and the bubble counter will just go to zero bps. Don’t know if these could be related.
Description of issue isn't clear.
Output pressure gauge goes to zero?
Doesn't turn on but shuts off fine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Description of issue isn't clear.
Output pressure gauge goes to zero?
Doesn't turn on but shuts off fine?
Both gauges stay at the same number. Tank is full. Don’t know the what each gauge is called. This I don’t my first co2 set up. But the gauge that reads how much co2 is going out that stays at 45-50 whether co2 is coming out or not. I dont know if that helps sorry.

How frequent does your outgoing psi drop & are you sure your tank is not low when this happens or does the inbound pressure drop too?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes it’s a full tank. And the psi doesn’t really drop on the gauge :/ it just doesn’t release co2 sometimes. Well it does but it will slowly die down. But that issue seems to have been fixed. The only thing I can’t get it to do is turn on with the timer. I’ll go down in the morning to check on it, the pressure will read 45-50 psi but not be putting out any co2 when it’s supposed to come on. I dont know if that helps sorry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got back into the hobby in January & I've only been using a CO2 system for the past 3 weeks. It could be a manifold issue where I recommend reaching out to the manufacturer about the issue & possible warranty. I also run mine @ 30 psi .. I say this because maybe if you lessen the psi demand it might function better.

Also, hook up a lamp to your timer & see if it turns on fine to see if the timer might be the issue. Also, is the timer directly plugged into a surge protector or to an extension cord? If extension cord, is it rated high enough for the timer & solenoid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got back into the hobby in January & I've only been using a CO2 system for the past 3 weeks. It could be a manifold issue where I recommend reaching out to the manufacturer about the issue & possible warranty. I also run mine @ 30 psi .. I say this because maybe if you lessen the psi demand it might function better.

Also, hook up a lamp to your timer & see if it turns on fine to see if the timer might be the issue. Also, is the timer directly plugged into a surge protector or to an extension cord? If extension cord, is it rated high enough for the timer & solenoid.

Yes it is plugged into an extension cord that should work for it. And the timer had the light on it so I know it works. I honestly don’t get how you can change the pressure, if I turn it down there isn’t enough co2. I’ll probably try reaching out to aquatek to see if they might have an idea. Thank you!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Both gauges stay at the same number. Tank is full. Don’t know the what each gauge is called. This I don’t my first co2 set up. But the gauge that reads how much co2 is going out that stays at 45-50 whether co2 is coming out or not. I dont know if that helps sorry.
Helps a lot. Sounds like a leak somewhere downstream. Or stuck check valve.
Or a defective solenoid.

Did you use soapy water to check for leaks?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you using a diffuser in your tank ? I bought the common diffusers that stick To the glass with both the co2art regulators I have. One of them started taking some time for gas to get through after the solenoid would kick on. Cleaned it multiple times but didnt make much of difference so thought it was reg and took that apart after checking line and reg for leaks with soapy water . Turned out that diffuser was basically just plugged. If you're Using one,I'd just disconnect it and Put the tubing back in the tank to see if gas is coming out . If gas goes through than theres a problem with diffuser.Of course Check for leaks First to rule that out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi - I'm not sure I understand the problem completely but...
I have kind of the same issue. I have quite a long CO2 hose from needle valve (and CO2 container) to aquarium - about 3-4 meters. I think the reason for the delay between when solenoid valve opens (a click that is easy to hear) and until I see CO2 bubbles in my aquarium is because of at the night when CO2 is off, the pressure in the hose drops a bit. When the morning comes and the solenoid valves open - it will take some time (due to my small tank and corresponding small CO2 usage - 20 bubbles/min) for the pressure to build up and overcome the resistance through the diffuser and/or displace the water in the diffuser.
The opposite way in the evening - It will take some time from the solenoid valve closes until CO2 bubbles actually stops coming into the aquarium.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Helps a lot. Sounds like a leak somewhere downstream. Or stuck check valve.
Or a defective solenoid.

Did you use soapy water to check for leaks?
Yes I checked for leaks. No leaks. Check valve I think is fine. But surprisingly this morning it turned on! I swear it has a mind of it’s own.

Hi - I'm not sure I understand the problem completely but...
I have kind of the same issue. I have quite a long CO2 hose from needle valve (and CO2 container) to aquarium - about 3-4 meters. I think the reason for the delay between when solenoid valve opens (a click that is easy to hear) and until I see CO2 bubbles in my aquarium is because of at the night when CO2 is off, the pressure in the hose drops a bit. When the morning comes and the solenoid valves open - it will take some time (due to my small tank and corresponding small CO2 usage - 20 bubbles/min) for the pressure to build up and overcome the resistance through the diffuser and/or displace the water in the diffuser.
The opposite way in the evening - It will take some time from the solenoid valve closes until CO2 bubbles actually stops coming into the aquarium.
See my hosing is super short. Less than a foot in length total. I have my canister right next to the tank. Surprisingly it turned on on its own today!

·
Registered
767 Posts
There are two gauges - one measures the pressure from the co2 canister as long as this one is 30+ you should be fine. The second is the pressure being sent out (this is measured before the solenoid which turns on/off flow). There are a lot of open questions that makes your post confusing. First how do you determine if it is on or off? Second what type of diffuser are you using (in tank or inline)? We can speculate all day long what the problem might be but without further details it amounts to speculation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@MikaelJ Just put a check valve closer to the diffuser.
I know this is not the case for original thread... (sorry for posting my reply here)
I already have one about 20 cm from diffuser. But since the check valve let CO2 into the aquarium (and not water the other way - or that's what I understand) it doesn't really help with keeping CO2 pressure in the long hose during the night. Very small amounts of CO2 will still continue to "bleed" into the aquarium during the night. Or at least that is my theory 🤓
I have checked for leaks and found none. But when solenoid closes in the evening - CO2 continues going into the tank for about 45 minutes (but on a slower and slower pace all the way to a stop after 45 min). I think that the CO2 that leaves the hose in this time first have to be "filled" again the next morning.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I know this is not the case for original thread... (sorry for posting my reply here)
I already have one about 20 cm from diffuser. But since the check valve let CO2 into the aquarium (and not water the other way - or that's what I understand) it doesn't really help with keeping CO2 pressure in the long hose during the night. Very small amounts of CO2 will still continue to "bleed" into the aquarium during the night. Or at least that is my theory 🤓
I have checked for leaks and found none. But when solenoid closes in the evening - CO2 continues going into the tank for about 45 minutes (but on a slower and slower pace all the way to a stop after 45 min). I think that the CO2 that leaves the hose in this time first have to be "filled" again the next morning.
Check valve will prevent water from backing up all the way down to the tube. So when you restart co2 it has to push the water out. That can take some time.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The hose acts like a balloon when the co2 pressure is turned on, it inflates somewhat before it passes along the co2 into the diffuser. When the pressure is shut off at the solenoid/valve the hose itself is still pressurized and continues to bleed out until it is empty. The longer the hose is, the longer it takes to start and stop from the time the solenoid/valve actuates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are two gauges - one measures the pressure from the co2 canister as long as this one is 30+ you should be fine. The second is the pressure being sent out (this is measured before the solenoid which turns on/off flow). There are a lot of open questions that makes your post confusing. First how do you determine if it is on or off? Second what type of diffuser are you using (in tank or inline)? We can speculate all day long what the problem might be but without further details it amounts to speculation.
It’s an in tank ceramic diffuser. Gives nice even small bubbles. For some reason, it worked this morning and came on with the timer. I can control how flow of co2 with the crappy needy valve. It is SO sensitive and very hard to keep it around 2-3 bps. It’s either like 8-10 bps or very slow so when I do get it finally to where I need it, that’s when it gets frustrating when it doesn’t kick on with the timer because I then have to spend like 30 minutes just trying to get the pressure where it should be. Sorry this is my first high tech tank and I had no prior knowledge about co2 canisters and regulators. I appreciate you trying to help. I wish I could post a video here to show you what it does sometimes. It’s been working the past two days as it should. So maybe the problem is fixed? 🤞🏼

·
Registered
767 Posts
8-10 bps is probably fine. It sounds like the solenoid or your timer are flakey. Does your solenoid have a little red light when on ? If so does that red light come on when it is not working ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
8-10 bps is probably fine. It sounds like the solenoid or your timer are flakey. Does your solenoid have a little red light when on ? If so does that red light come on when it is not working ?
It does not have a light to indicate it is on. But it’s now been working perfectly for 2 days in a row! Don’t know what I did but it seems to be working!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wonder if there was something inside preventing flow. Some contamination like Teflon tape. Here or there it would flow but other times it blocked it. Just taking a wild guess.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
It’s an in tank ceramic diffuser. Gives nice even small bubbles. For some reason, it worked this morning and came on with the timer. I can control how flow of co2 with the crappy needy valve. It is SO sensitive and very hard to keep it around 2-3 bps. It’s either like 8-10 bps or very slow so when I do get it finally to where I need it, that’s when it gets frustrating when it doesn’t kick on with the timer because I then have to spend like 30 minutes just trying to get the pressure where it should be. Sorry this is my first high tech tank and I had no prior knowledge about co2 canisters and regulators. I appreciate you trying to help. I wish I could post a video here to show you what it does sometimes. It’s been working the past two days as it should. So maybe the problem is fixed? 🤞🏼
Some new diffusers need a break in period.
Generally a pre- soak. I' ve never had the patience.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.