The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a semi-DIY system set up. I am using the venturi pump and the canister that came with this set: (seems I am not allowed to post links yet... pm me for link, but it is a common set by Red Sea that is usually sold for $30 online).
I had to get new Co2 tubing (it's special for Co2 use) because the cat chewed up the old one. ><; I have a gatorade bottle set up between the canister and the pump; I drilled two small holes in the cap and yanked the tubing through them with plyers. (I know this bottle has an actual term, but, darn it, I can't recall it right now.)
At first bubbles were coming out of the pump, but after a little bit they stopped. I can see Co2 flowing through the tubing (it's see-through green), but it isn't able to make it all the way to the pump.
What can I do? Forgive me if I haven't clarified anything; ask any questions you like!

Also, this is my first post. Everyone here seems really knowledgeable, and I'm happy to join. =)

·
Registered
302 Posts
the secondary bottle is the bubble counter not really necessary in a yeast driven co2 setup its really meant to monitor the amount of co2 going in but because you cant adjust the amount of co2 coming from the diy mix its not needed i would not use it and see if that helps or try mixing a new batch of yeast sugar and water and see if that helps also if you just made the mix it may take a while before it makes co2 good luck

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!

either you have a leak somewhere or you need to make a stronger co2 mix. I have been experimenting the last couple days with this myself. With one 2 liter bottle, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast I can get 1 bubble every 3 mississippi. So I added a second 2 liter bottle with same sugar/yeast mix and am currently getting 1 bubble every 1 mississippi. The canister that you forgot the name of is a bubble counter, they help with monitoring if your yeast/sugar mix is dying down and need to make a new batch. Although the diy co2 setup moves co2 at a slow rate. So if you have been messing around with it, give it time to catch up and produce enough pressure to push it through.

I use pvc cement on all the connections from the tubing into the caps. Just helps seal it off a bit. I would guess that your bubble counter is the culprit of a leak.

EDIT. I am going to go pressurized soon I think. Its just more accurate, constant, and less of a hassle. Which is worth it to me. Not to mention I go through sugar like crazy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. It probably is the bubble counter. I was told that I needed a bubble counter when I'd had other problems with the setup before. I have had this batch of sugar/yeast/water set up for the better part of a week now.
I have silicone rubber (for aquariums); would that be ok to use on the tubing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:icon_redf oh... (duh haha) Thanks! I hope it does. Says to wait 48 hours to put in water, so I'm waiting to see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts