The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my stand mostly finished, and my hood half finished. It's finished enough to keep the plants from dying until I complete it. In any event, I got way too excited way too quickly, and already laid out the dirtscape. Nonetheless, I need some help with what plants to put where, what plants I should get, whether I should put rocks and driftwood in the tank, and if so, where it might look right. Here's a couple pics of the way the dirtscape is set up. I just planted those plants tonight, so they can all be moved. Light Fluid Organism Liquid Gas

The hill on the back, left, side is "Ghost mountain" I'm considering three different fauna setups, one of which includes a black ghost knifefish. Inside the hill is a full 2 litre bottle with the top cut off, so a nice big fish can hide in said mountain. The hill in the center houses another cave (gatorade bottle). The valley in front of the cave is the valley of the Ram. Another option I'm considering is German blue rams.
The hill on the far right, up front, that's Shrimp meadow. That hill houses a full plastic 7-11 coffee cup (the kind that looks disposable, but is actually reusable) with the lid still on, but the drinking hole open. So whatever creatures I have in there, only shrimp will be able to get inside that tiny cave, and therefore have a safe haven.

The plants I have are crypt wendtii, red tiger lotus, jungle val (I think) a little crypt parva, and a couple small, misc. plants that got picked up when the folks at the LFS put the plants in the bag. The random pots are just being used to grow some apongeton, bulbs, and when I know what they look like, as well as how big they'll get, I'll decide where to plant them. So... any ideas? Feel free to comment on the fauna as well as flora. I'm not certain what I want to do. I also have two large bags of gravel from home depot that I can put in here. One of the bags has gravel about an inch in diameter, and the other one is about 3/8 of an inch in diameter.

I'm also considering discus...

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think the 2 liter bottle might not be the best way to go - plastic these days is usually meant to biodegrade, especially those kinds of bottles, and with the weight of dirt over it - the mouth might collapse over time, is there anything bracing the mouth of it open to prevent that kind of collapse?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The two litre bottle isn't propped up in any way, and I checked to make sure it's regular plastic. I didn't cut the entire curved portion off of the bottle though. If you were to measure from the cap, towards the base, I cut about 2 - 2.5 inches off. The extra curve of the plastic gives it some pretty good stability.

As far as the shrimps go, I'm going to spend some cash, give it some time, build a colony, and if they all get eaten, then they all get eaten. I'm not terribly concerned about it. Mainly I like having scavengers around so that they can eat the left over tidbits that would otherwise foul the water. The bonus is that they are also neat pets to keep.

I think I would like a piece of manzanita someplace in here, but I'm not sure how big, where to put it, etc... I really want something dramatic. Again, any advice on places, for plants, addition of plants, movement, places/additions of rocks and sticks, etc. I just haven't ever done this before, and need a little creative nudge to help me figure out what to do.

·
Banned
220 Posts
the hole hilly area of the tank is a really good idea you might even want to make a valley scene and put the driftwood in the middle then cover it in droopy mosses to give the appearance of an under water tree then get some floating plants towards the top of the hilly area to make a shady hill the shrimps will love then put a carpet plants on both sides of the "valley", then i would but some randomly intertwined banana plants all around the place. in combination this will make a really cool tropical jungle look your shrimp will never get eaten because there will be so many plants and the hills will look great then your fish will love all the plants and look great in the tank.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what the current aquascape looks like. Any recommendations? I would like a more "filled in" look, but I don't want to hurt my angels swimming area. Any suggestions appreciated.

Edit: Tapatalk doesn't want to upload my picture... so... I'll post a pic of what the tank looks like tonight!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.