The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow planted tank enthusiasts!

I've been lurking around your forums for about a week now, and I must say, you all have some amazing tanks!

I'm a college student, so my money supply is a little low, but I'm really getting into aquariums! I've got a 29 Gallon tank in my room which I picked up on Craigslist. Started out just having a couple goldfish in there, with fake plants, but recently decided to make the switch to real plants. I've been working on keeping them alive, and feel I'm doing pretty good so far! Of course, my fish are goldfish, which aren't always the best for planted tanks, but I'm managing right now!

There's a huge sale at my LFS this Friday, and I'm really interested in getting myself a Planted Nano started up! I'm thinking about getting a small 5.5 Gallon glass rectangle, and removing the rims. (Loving the looks of all the rimless tanks on this forum.) I'm going to need advice on what Filter to get, as well as what kind of substrate. I'm leaning towards Black Sand Flourite right now.

I'm kind of posting this all for two reasons,

1. To help me figure out what kind of things I should look at purchasing at the LFS, and
2. Get help on setting up either a DIY C02 project, or some other way of getting my plants to thrive.

Currently I have no C02 on my 29 gallon, but am VERY interested in getting something going in it. Like I said however, my money supply is very low, so I'm not sure what I can afford or what I can do to get something running. Advice in that area would be awesome! Currently I'm just using the Seachem products alone.

Thanks for any help you can give! This forum has been a huge help for getting me inspired as well as helping me understand what I can do if I put my mind to it! I'll put up some pictures of my 29 Gallon tonight, just so you guys can see what I have. :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hagen elite filter(co2 reactor) + DIY co2

bought one from petco.com w/ 10% d/c promo code Zen10
12$ shipped

sad to say it diffuses better than my 55$ ADA pollen glass diffuser. =(

Im selling an Eheim 2213 used just need media which u can get for 10$ on amazon.com and tube(LFS under 10$)
45$ shipped 35$ picked up
Its perfect for a nano.

If not want a canister i and choose to go with a HOB filter i recommend Aquaclear

I also have a fishneedit 70watt Metal halide if you need it for your 30gal tank. it would be perfect. comes with all hanging kits. used for 1yr bulb is still bright.
selling for half the price 70$ shipped. I need money to pay my speeding ticket =(

Will also toss in some plants and shrimps at half price. =)
I have RCS and CRS grade A and S.
and the list of plants are in my 60P journal

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just saw that Hagen Elite Filter at my LFS that's having the sale! I'll definitely be picking one up on Friday now. I'll put that system in my 29 Gallon for sure. Can someone with DIY C02 experience point me in the direction of other equipment I might need?

I think for the new Nano, I'd probably just route it through the filter. Easier that way, without something large I'd have to put in my tank.

I said I'd post some pictures of my 29g, so here they are:

I've got a couple of plants which I picked up at Petco, but I'm not sure what they are. If anyone could ID them, that'd be awesome! (I'm actually not even sure if they're fully aquatic.) Here they are:

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks UT, I'm definetely going to keep that in mind for later on if I find that DIY just isn't for me.

Tomorrow's the big day! I'm going to go get everything that I think I need from the Pet Store tomorrow at the Sale! Here's a list of the stuff I'm grabbing. (Picked up a Desk Lamp from Wal Mart which is 27 Watts. Should be perfect for what I'm doing.)

5.5 Gallon Tank
Tubing for CO2 DIY System
Hagen Elite Filter
Eco-Complete
Check Valve
Root Tabs
Prime
Light Timer

Also going to purchase all the things I need for the Eheim 2213 which I purchased off of Niptek, which unfortunately they don't have at my LFS, so I'm gonna have to get online. Purchasing a Mini Heater wherever I get all of that stuff from.

So I guess I listed all that to see what you guys think of it. Am i going to need anything else for my DIY CO2 System, or am I good from what I have? Will I need a Bubble Counter?

Thanks a ton, everyone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For some website to purchase check out bigalsonline...thatpetplace..drfostersmith

I can't help anything else cause I'm a noob lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts