The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my tank:

It's 6.6 gallons (but probably closer to 6, because I have to leave an inch or so at the top for my betta), and about 9" tall. Right now it has a T8, "15w Red" bulb in it, which is what it came with. That is what it says on the bulb, so I'm not sure how many K it has. I added some dwarf hg and baby tears yesterday which I believe are moderate light plants, so I do believe I need to upgrade the lighting, however I'm having trouble figuring out what I need. The general "rule of thumb" is 2-3 watts per gallon, correct? Or is it more for moderate light needs? Also, is 6500K about right? Any help is appreciated, thanks... big noob here.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Lighting Question

Good morning Penny...

What you want is a 6500 K bulb. It comes the closest to natural daylight at 5500 K. A T8 will provide good distribution.

I still use the watts per gallon rule. It's simple and provides a good starting point for deciding on the proper lighting for your tank.

If you have approx. 2 watts of light per gallon of tank volume, that's enough for the majority of the aquatic plants on the market.

Lighting is most important, but a close second is fertilizer. I like to use hydroponics liquids, but there are others.

Last, you have a very small tank, so it would be best to either keep very small fish or keep very few.

B

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I only have one betta in there and don't plan on adding anything else. It's HIS tank ;)
Though someday, when I have the money, I would love a big angelfish tank!

So 15 watts is about right then? I just need something with more K, which is what I figured. (I think the red lights are around 4000K?)

Thank you!

Oh and I do use some liquid fertilizer, but definitely plan on picking up (or ordering) some root tabs here soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.