The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about snowball shrimp: Mine have been saddled for weeks now but are not becoming berried. I recently moved them to another tank, which I hoped would entice them to breed. I also threw some yellow shrimp into the old tank from which I moved the snowballs to see if those would breed, and yes they do. What am I doing wrong? pH is 7.6 temp is 73, and the other tank that they were moved from had 76 (where the yellow shrimp are happy to breed). How do I make the snowballs to breed?

I also keep tigers (which are breeding, cherries - breeding, yellow - breeding, and sulawesi - alive ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
how big are the snowballs? some time if they are not mature yet, you can't tell if it a male for female. i got some that is like that, it look like a male but a few days later i see saddle in them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
strange... I just tossed my snowball in a 20g and feed / water change... didnt do anything special and they breed like crazy

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i don't know what's up either. All other shrimp are just fine. The snowballs are the only ones revolting. So any help is highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does anybody have any other idea why my snowballs are refusing to breed? and a possible solution to the dilemma?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you sure the baby already in there but too small for you to see? I know in one of my tank I have over 100 babies... but only see 4-5 at a time if I even see em

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah they usually breed easily. Are there places for them to hide during the molting/mating process?

I don't know if this does anything, but I once read that you could induce breeding by doing a large water change with slightly cooler water. Might be worth a shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts