The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi TPT. I have a mind wrenching (for me) issue. I hooked up my new regulator today and checked for leaks. I then ran my airline tubing from the bubble country to my brand new GLA Atomic diffuser. Waited the fifteen minutes. Nothing. Waited thirty, still no bubbles so I canned up the working pressure from 35 to 50. Nothing. Then up a bit more to 60. Still no bubbles. I then took off the diffuser and put the airline into the water and there were bubbles.

So my question is this, is my diffuser faulty? Am I losing pressure without having the proper co2 tubing? Is there something that I am overlooking?

There are bubbles coming out of the tubing when it is not connected to the diffuser, but when it is connected, no bubbles, no bulges in the tubing, no leaks that I am aware of, no escaping bubbles at the tube-diffuser junction....the co2 is going somewhere but I don't know where. No bubbles being formed anywhere on the tubing that is submerged.

Help please, I have no idea what is going on. I've seen posts of people using sillicon tubing for the GLA atomic diffuser with no issues.

Thanks ,

Minhha2006

·
Registered
899 Posts
Could be something wrong with the diffuser. It usually takes 3-5 mins for the CO2 line to completely pressurize then the bubbles should start showing up. The only thing I could think off is a leak somewhere that is causing the line not to reach the working pressure. Try buying a cheap fluval diffuser and see if it works with it.

Also did you crank up the needle valve? You could try cranking up the needle valve and making sure you have good flow so as to rule out a faulty diffuser.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Any chance you have a check valve between the bubble counter and the difuser?
If not, I would leave the working pressure at around 40 psi and start opening the needle valve, as recommended above.
Checking for leaks again at that pressure wuld not hurt either. There is a great thread on TPT on how to check for leaks by bettatail.

Air tubing is not ideal but should suffice to get things going.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I got the working pressure past 60 while testing it. I did not have a proper wrench so I'll see if I can get one today to tighten the seal from the tank to the regulator. I ruled this issue out because I was able to get the working pressure this high and I didn't see any bubbles at that junction.

I'll go get better airline today as well to see if that's the cause. I'm suspecting that because there aren't any bubbles at the diffuser and airline junction so maybe the air is leaking in the line in some area that doesn't touch the water column (pressure of the water is too high so the air is going further in the line towards the regulator?)

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Getting too techie when looking at the type of tubing as the fault. Any leaking through the tubing walls is pretty much theory at our pressures. Think molecules rather than leaks?
What I would suspect is a check valve backwards, defective diffuser (not really) or most likely a massive leak at a connection between the tubing and some item like the check valve. Running a hand over the tubing while the pressure is high may help spot it as CO2 is cold!!
If gas is passing through the bubble counter and not coming out the far end, there is a leak. A soap bubble check may be needed all along the tubing but for the large leak you are describing, I would expect to feel or hear it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it fixed. Thanks everyone, the co2 tubing helped. I went to Home Depot and got some polyethylene tubing. It's designed specifically for co2 applications and it's safe for food, which means safe for the tank!

Thanks again TPT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts