The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just found this creature digging through the substrate and its butt popped up, i pulled it out with tongs
Firstly can anyone identify the creature?
Second is this thing any danger to the aquarium? (Will there be more of it in the tank? Will it overpopulate the tank?)
Any help is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im no help in identifying but
I wonder if you could find a fish that would eat it? Larger cichlid maybe? at least just long enough to clear up the infestation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im no help in identifying but
I wonder if you could find a fish that would eat it? Larger cichlid maybe? at least just long enough to clear up the infestation
Well i rly cant do that since its a nano 30cm cube aquarium

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah it didnt really look like that. It had like a fatter abdomen with a spider spinnerette looking tail

It's tough to identify from the photos but just remove them from your tank. I initially thought it could be a dragonfly but it looks more short than they usually are. So not sure.

Shouldn't be much of a problem if you remove any that you see.
Ah alr thanks for the advice. Just worried there would be more of them out there or an infestation. They just creep me out

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well i rly cant do that since its a nano 30cm cube aquarium
Yeah thats deff a problem then, Sorry
if you remove the substrate and bake it 20 minutes it might help. If not freeze it or something like that
youd have to rinse well after to make sure you dont have a bunch of dead insects in there

·
Super Moderator
16,039 Posts
Yeah thats deff a problem then, Sorry
if you remove the substrate and bake it 20 minutes it might help. If not freeze it or something like that
youd have to rinse well after to make sure you dont have a bunch of dead insects in there
This is all more work than is necessary, thankfully.

No need to do any of that with just a bug or two. They're really common in the hobby in some parts of the world and just part of planted tanking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is all more work than is necessary, thankfully.

No need to do any of that with just a bug or two. They're really common in the hobby in some parts of the world and just part of planted tanking.
As long as its not something parasitic I totally agree, lol. these are desperate measures only

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
They usually come in on infected plants as eggs and will eat anything they can capture.

They are fast hunters and will even prey upon creatures somewhat larger than they are!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had one last summer, it came in through oak leaves I did not boil first
Im not saying thats what happened to you, but Always boil your botanicals before you add

They usually come in on infected plants as eggs and will eat anything they can capture.

They are fast hunters and will even prey upon creatures somewhat larger than they are!

Fascinating, Thank you for this vid. I was under the impression they would be slow and clumsy under water as the damsel nymph I found in my tank had no swimmers, the same as this one. Though I can see how quickly it moves I cannot understand how it can get around so fast without any fins or any biological member to propel himself
The one I had would have been in my tank no more than a month or 2 and knocked out 7 of my lampeye killifish. One of which I found on the floor beside the tank. I naturally blamed the cat at first. now seeing this im revisiting the possibility that the one on the floor might have been either chased out or spooked enough to jump

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

That nymph in that vid seems to be rly agile and aggresive… the one i had didnt really dart around and i picked it up with tongs fairly easily. Could it be that different species act differently?? And i dont think it ate any of my shrimp or fish either…

·
Registered
47 Posts
That nymph in that vid seems to be rly agile and aggresive… the one i had didnt really dart around and i picked it up with tongs fairly easily. Could it be that different species act differently?? And i dont think it ate any of my shrimp or fish either…
Yours didn't look nearly as developed though...

·
Super Moderator
16,039 Posts
Anyways, I also found these tiny mites crawling and jumping around the tank… any idea what they could be? And if they pose any danger??
The photos are too blurry to definitively ID the species but they look like some sort of daphnia or seed shrimp. They're one of the most common parts of a new planted aquarium.

If you haven't yet done much reading about planted tanks or starting a freshwater aquarium, you may want to. One thing you will find helpful is reading through this forum. Check out some stickied posts, some threads for beginners, scroll through some Tank Journals. You'll learn a ton and get all kinds of questions answered that you didn't know you had.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this creature digging through the substrate and its butt popped up, i pulled it out with tongs
Firstly can anyone identify the creature?
Second is this thing any danger to the aquarium? (Will there be more of it in the tank? Will it overpopulate the tank?)
Any help is appreciated
Definitely a dragonfly or related predator.. glad you got it out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts