The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an Apistogramma Panduro that I just noticed has cloudiness in his eyes. He's hard to see as he is hunkered down in a pot behind some driftwood. I have 3 different meds on hand.
- Macaryn 2
- Melafix
- API General Cure

Which would be the best to use?
Is it okay to combine some of these meds?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Out Of those 3 I would try the Maracyn 2. Don't combine them. The General Cure is more if you suspect parasites-like hex/worms etc. I've never used melafix but I have heard mixed reviews on it being effective.

Also make sure your water quality is good. I've had eye cloudiness clear quickly before with clean water-I had too much mulm & high side nitrates at the time, that I think caused it, so fixing that cleared my fish up.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
He's not looking so hot. Water should be good, I do 50% WC every Sunday. I started the Maracyn two about 2 hours ago. Not sure how long before it starts to take affect but he seems a little better. Before he wouldn't move and now he's moving around the tank. I've never had to deal with popeye before but it seems it comes on rather quick. I saw him earlier today and there was nothing wrong. I hope he pulls through.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
It isn't too fatal, he might loose the eye still. He only needs one though :).
Clean water is 60% of the treatment.

Anyway, I have a cory with a damaged eye this morning. I think the betta bit him.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Read these articles. These sites, written by Carl Strohmeyer, have a ton of information that most aquarist (even advanced) don't even know about.

Streptococcus, Eye Infections in Fish

And here under "Pop-Eye" section
Aeromonas & Vibrio Disease | Septicemia | Pop Eye | Treatment

Information here about Osmoregulation (even if the pop-eye is not a result of fluid retention behind the eyes due to improper osmotic balance, it's still great to know)
Do Fish Drink? Osmoregulation in Fish

If you care to learn more, take a look at other topics on those sites, tons of well researched info on there.

I might recommend, dipping the Apisto in epsom salt dips (reduce "swelling"/fluid build up), and probably even Methylene Blue dips (treat infection).

Kordon Ich Attack (or Kordon Rid Fungus, same ingredients) can treat eye hazing (not internal cataracts though), but I don't think it would reduce fluids behind the eye (pop-eye part). It might though, I don't know for sure. You could technically add some salt to the whole tank, but it is known that tetra and barbs can be sensitive to salt, which is why I recommend dipping just the infected apisto.

I would definitely treat ASAP, to give the fish the best chance of it not losing any of it's eyes.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Silver nitrate would be the ideal medicine for that eye infection. You could also try a colloidal silver based medication like Fungistop.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What are your water parameters (KH, GH, pH, temperature, TDS)?

Are you injecting a lot of co2?
Co2 - DIY
GH - 6
KH - 4
PH - 6.5

This is an established tank that's been running for over 2 years. I did do a 60% WC earlier as I do every Sunday. I don't know whether to start dumping meds in or more water changes as I can't do both at the same time. Oh and I found a dead cherry barb after my last post. There's definatly a mass exudous of fish happening right now. I'm for sure its popeye as the Panduro I pulled defiantly had it. By the time I got to the other fish there eyeballs were gone. Whatever I do I have to treat entire tank because it's clearly gotten out of control.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The thing is, pop eye is normally not fatal... sure there is something going on, but not that it is pop eye that is the primary route.
Pop eye is one of those things that normally appear when fish are already weakened or stressed by something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.