The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only female CRS became pregnant overnight. I've been keeping a watch on her and she kept dropping her eggs. The males kept coming at her and she jumps and about 2-3 eggs drops.. That and probably because at first I didn't recognized her being pregnant and changed the water because my other shrimps kept swimming around and I thought it was something due to the water. Help, I don't know what to do. ):

EDIT: And when she fans her eggs, they also drop. She only has about 5-6 more eggs left.. sigh.

·
Super Moderator
15,234 Posts
A water change - if parameters of the new water are close to the tank water - shouldn't cause a shrimp to drop her eggs.

What are your water parameters? Do you only have shrimp in the tank?

Often, the first time or two a shrimp gets berried, they're more likely than not to drop most/all of their eggs. Especially when stressed for any reason.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know anything about the parameters but the temp. It's at 70 degrees.
I have 4 cories with my shrimps but they were just laying there while she dropped her eggs, so they weren't the reason.

And yes, this is her first time getting pregnant. That makes sense.. But the males kept coming at her even though she's berried already. And she drops her eggs when she jumps to get away from them. And was wondering if the next time she becomes berried, will she keep the eggs even though the males come at her?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. She was about 8 inches above them on a water wisteria while she just dropped the eggs. The cories were minding their own business.

It was probably because of the water change that I did and it was her first time being berried. I hope I have better luck next time. :\

·
Registered
843 Posts
The reason the males were worked up the first time is likely because she was ready for them and released pheramones when molting. Is there possibly another female that is molting and getting the males worked up? The water change could have contributed, how much of the water did you change % wise?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i would move the shrimp or the cories cause they will end up eating baby shrimp and im kinda suprixed they have not eaten the adult shrimp yet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts