The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I need some advice about the results from a gh/my water test I just did with the API kit!

I have a 7 gallon shrimp tank with around 20 cherry shrimp, heavily planted, there are some floating plants, lots of Java moss, a bonsai and Indian almond leaves. I’ve had this tank for around 8 months now and I have NEVER had one breed! that makes me incredibly sad because my goal is to breed them.

my parameters:
Ph: around 8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: <5ppm
Gh: 8 (?)
Kh: 11(???)
TDS: around 160

so is my kh result normal????? I feel like that’s a bit high but again I’m not sure! Every time I got my water tested, my LFS told me my water hardness was fine and that they should breed but...no such luck! I just want some shrimp babies.

what do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Your ph and KH do seem slightly high. Although I don’t think out of the typical range for neos.... but you may be correct that this is the reason they’re not breeding.

Ideally your water would be slightly acidic, like 6-7ph. And KH maybe more like 3-4. Your GH seems fine.

Your rocks are most likely contributing to your KH/ph issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your ph and KH do seem slightly high. Although I don’t think out of the typical range for neos.... but you may be correct that this is the reason they’re not breeding.

Ideally your water would be slightly acidic, like 6-7ph. And KH maybe more like 3-4. Your GH seems fine.

Your rocks are most likely contributing to your KH/ph issues.

hello! Thank you so much for your answer!
Is there any way to lower the KH/pH? I’ve heard of peat moss but I’m scared the fluctuations will kill my shrimp!

would RO/DI water be useful?

thanks!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Suppose I should have Thought it could definitely be your water source.

But yeah, RO and RO/DI will be 0GH/0KH. You’ll actually have to buy a product to bring GH and KH up to an acceptable number.

This is certainly the preferred way to correct things. Adding something to try and reduce your numbers probably won’t work as well

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suppose I should have Thought it could definitely be your water source.

But yeah, RO and RO/DI will be 0GH/0KH. You’ll actually have to buy a product to bring GH and KH up to an acceptable number.

This is certainly the preferred way to correct things. Adding something to try and reduce your numbers probably won’t work as well

ahhh that makes a lot of sense!!! Thanks for your help!

Sadly I’m on a budget so I’ll have to save up some money to get a RO/DI since they’re quite expensive!! But if that’s what works best I’ll get one for sure.

i heard cherry shrimp breed like rabbits and thrive in hard water which is the reason I bought them, but I guess even they have their limits 😭

are there any shrimp that can breed in hard water?

·
Registered
290 Posts
ahhh that makes a lot of sense!!! Thanks for your help!

Sadly I’m on a budget so I’ll have to save up some money to get a RO/DI since they’re quite expensive!! But if that’s what works best I’ll get one for sure.

i heard cherry shrimp breed like rabbits and thrive in hard water which is the reason I bought them, but I guess even they have their limits

are there any shrimp that can breed in hard water?
DI water from my local grocery store is 0.39 cents per gallon. Depending on your tank size, that Might be a good way to go.

Other than that, I’d say your parameters aren’t really that far off.... and it’s worth a shot to keep waiting and see if they breed. Maybe try adding something just to reduce the ph a bit.... although with your KH at 11, that might be a little easier said than done

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DI water from my local grocery store is 0.39 cents per gallon. Depending on your tank size, that Might be a good way to go.

Other than that, I’d say your parameters aren’t really that far off.... and it’s worth a shot to keep waiting and see if they breed. Maybe try adding something just to reduce the ph a bit.... although with your KH at 11, that might be a little easier said than done

that’s a great idea!! I’ll do some research! Having some DI water might be the best option I have :)

·
Banned
628 Posts
I have a theory which might not be correct that you can boil KH out of water leaving the GH. You would have to use stainless steel. You could do a small experiment to test the theory. Or maybe someone on this forum could just tell us. Even if it is true, boiling water takes a long time. So boiling out the temporary hardness isn't practical.

The following link has the mathematical formula for mixing different concentrations to achieve a target amount at a target concentration: Lesson Mixing two concentrations for known amount of mixture This could be helpful for diluting your tap water with RO water to get the KH down.

Somebody recently posted about an RO unit that can be used with a garden hose. If you could find a cheap RO unit and use your garden hose then you could reconstitute the RO water with minerals. You could build your own water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.