The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I need advice. I turned on my CO2 when I came home from work and put it on high to get it going and totally forgot to turn it down. Left house for 3 hours to work on car and came home to fish floating and breathing on top of of tank water and 3 dead fish. I did a 50% water change, what else should or can I do:icon_ques:icon_ques:icon_ques

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alway go slow with co2... too much of a rise in co2 too fast will cause the ph to drop. As for the fish all u can do is turn on an airstone or two add aquarium salt if u have it and hope for the best.
Yea I have salt. I will throw some of that in now to thanks.

It was a total accident. I usually just do that to get it started for 20 seconds, I do not know how I forgot.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Add like 10ml of H2O2 to the tank make sure your lights are on when you do this.. It will increase O2 levels. Yes it should be safe. It's even suggested by fish farmers transporting fish.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm curious as to why you feel the need to do that? Doing it for 20 seconds doesn't really do anything for you... why not just leave it?
Just being a noob :frown::frown:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like everything is back to normal. As soon as it happened i got a bowl and put them all in there for an hour or 2. I then did the 50% water changed and only lost 3 fish, 2 neon tetras and 1 Mickey Mouse tail platy.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like you need to get a solenoid and timer. Quit screwing with it and risking this. Forget it once and you'll do it again. It is human nature.
I have both of these things connected. It was just a dumb mistake and I am just going to leave it now. Live and learn I guess. :icon_neut

·
Registered
852 Posts
this is what I do
1. use a drop checker
2. I also use a PH meter
3. have air pump & air stone ready at all times
4. adjust CO2 very slowly over a period of a day or two

I do not use a solinoid or a controller. I have done it this way for about 2 years
HTH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.