The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I recently acquired about 15 Amano shrimp which were doing great for the first few days in my 15 gallon tank, however whenever I wake up in the morning, I find one that has turned stark white and died. I have read this article and the only thing that seems to resonate with my experience so far is that I got them from a big box store and they did seem a pretty weak. Is there anything that I can do to ensure that I dont lose any more?

Why are my shrimp dying?

·
Registered
39 Posts
What are your current water parameters? Turning stark white means it has been dead for some time already (makes sense if you find them in the morning).

pH:
gH:
Water Temp:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your gH might be too high - my shrimp started dying one at a time every day at 11 gH and stabilized when I lowered it to 6. My tanks all vary from 4 to 9 gH - I would recommend lowering it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your gH might be too high - my shrimp started dying one at a time every day at 11 gH and stabilized when I lowered it to 6. My tanks all vary from 4 to 9 gH - I would recommend lowering it.
I have very hard water where I live. I have an RODI system, I have just been battling a minor algae attack so I wanted to get all of my parameters dialed in before I started changing too many things all at once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.