The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Ive got a problem with this algae or fungus (dunno what it is). It seems to be taking over my mosses.

It looks really fluffy brownish white

Ive posted a few pics.

Can someone please identify the algae and give me advice on how to control it or eradicate it please?

In the 1st pic it is growing on the underside of my christmas moss

Thanks

In this pic you can see it growing on the java moss to the right.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm going to agree with everyone else. Most mosses have rhizoids. Check this quote from here:

"They define rhizoids as filaments that are produced only by the mature leafy gametophyte plants. They are often pigmented brown and function to attach the gametophyte to the substrate (soil, tree bark, or rock that they are growing on)."

Given the size I would agree that this is what you have. If it was staghorn or BBA it would extend past a few mm.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I take a lot of mosses from outside and try to grow them in aquariums, some terrestrial. Most of the time they will shoot out tufts of rhizoids that can be as long as 1/2 inch and resemble BBA, which I thought it was at first until I'd seen it enough times. When I get home this afternoon, I'm sure I have a picture of this and you would swear it's BBA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.