The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys just noticed one of my fat albino cory's seems to have eggs attached to her looks like 3 big ones there are 5 in the tank along with a blue phantom plec, big shoal of neon's and male keyhole. its a heavily planted tank with lots of amazon swords and many types of krypt's! what do i do as don't they scatter the eggs and end up eating them?? never bred Cory's before? can i separate her have no other suitable tanks without predatory egg eaters in them? could I put her floating in a tub of tank water in the tank (to keep water warm) wait for them to hatch

·
Registered
963 Posts
They aren't scatters. She's holding/fertilizing them until she can find a suitable place to stick them to. Depending on how many she's already laid, you may find them stuck all over the place. Depending on how densely planted and/or how accessible the eggs are to the inhabitants of the tank will determine how many, if any, eggs make it to hatching. The best thing to do if you have the determination to have some cory fry is to wait for her to stick them to something and then carefully scrape them off and put them either in a hatching tank or net breeder. Basically you need to isolate them somehow.

In about a week you'll have some cory fry that will need to be fed. I fed mine on the Hikari first bites as well as letting them graze on a big pile of moss I placed with them in the breeder net. After they got a decent size that they could swim to avoid the other fish in the tank I let them loose and now have about 4 dozen or more juveniles swimming in the tank.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have baby peppered cories after my second attempt to hatch eggs! Carefully scraped the eggs off accessible areas and placed them into a breeder net, letting one of my hob filters trickle in some water into the corner of the net to let the eggs have water flow.

Fed them microworms and first bites, then when they got a little bigger I put them into my shrimp tank which I use as a grow out for fry till they get big enough to hang with the "big" fish. (My biggest fish is a Bolivian Ram, not exactly big lol)

If you don't want to raise the fry, just leave the eggs, they'll be eaten before they hatch.

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.