The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

So I'm looking for general advice and hopefully some answers to a few specific questions.
I'd class myself as new to the hobby, i have kept a small tropical tank with a few plants in the past, but it wasn't a great success. This time I'm doing more research so i have more success.

I've bought a Juwel Rio LED 180L tank and I'm looking to create a low tech, heavily planted aquascape with some decent sized wood and rock formations. Id like to achieve some sort of carpeting as well as a jungle look (when it grows in) and I'm thinking of using aquatic soil as a substrate.

My first real question is does anyone have any experience of this tank with the standard LED lighting provided? i'm trying to work out if it would be considered low/med/high lighting for plants?
I'm quite happy to stick to simpler plants that dont need added CO2, but if the lighting is too bright, im assuming this will a)kill low/med lighting plants and b) cause algae issues without added CO2.

Also i'm open to the idea of helping the plants establish themselves with some added CO2/liquid carbon if it can be done without mad expense/complexity but i honestly dont know enough about it or if its worth doing.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't give any advice, but I looked up that tank, and it is sweet!
I saw you tube vids where they were growing low/medium light plants. Most (not all) plants that tolerate low/med light are fine in high light as well. You can also use something that floats to filter the light a little if needed. You don't usually hear of stock lights being too bright even in the nicer tanks. Seems that if you had trouble last time, start off with some reliable, easy plants and graduate to the more difficult ones after you have success under your belt. Lots of the "easy" plants will grow to impressive sizes and give you a lovely tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.