The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into possibly getting a 75-90 gallon aquarium (yay). However, I currently do not own a stand that can support that. I would love you build my own stand but I am terrible at carpentry and fear I would build something that could not support the weight. Any suggestions on stands that are our there? Can I use something from say a furniture store (like some type of chest/small shelving unit made of real wood)? The other option of course is spending 200-250 on an aquarium stand from a company...any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
A piece of furniture would cost more than an aquarium stand new! You wouldn't have storage beneath some perfectly sized pieces without modifying it either. If you found a piece of furniture made from plywood or solid wood with support right to the ground all around that was absolutely solid and doesn't creak when you shove one corner then it will hold the tank. At this size the vertical frame needs to be exactly the same foot print as the tank so the rim of the tank is supported down to the floor.

Try Craig's List or freecyle for purpose built stands. They are likely to have water damage and the size you want isn't as common as 55 and 125 but they are out there. You can put up a want ad too. Good place to look for a desk, chest of drawers or heavy cabinet that could work too.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If it's water - I'd just buy one. If it was to be a terrarium - I'd just make one out of cinder blocks and 2 x 4s (or 2x8 and then a 2x3 - or whatever sizes will work) just make sure that the wood is at LEAST 2 niches thick and try to only use 1 - 2 pieces of wood total.

I had my 100 gallon terrarium set up for nearly 2 decades on the same cinder blocks and wood - even with it's monstrous heavy waterfall - and it was fine, and very sturdy, even handled the earthquakes fine, lol. I used 4 stacks of cinders though so there was a ton of support in the middle. Had I not lost the wood during the second to last move, I'd use it again when I finally decided to be brave enough to set it up again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.