Hellooooo Mainers :)

4087 33
I'm in Portland. Nice to see some other Mainers:icon_mrgr
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i hated walmart fish- they were always so unhealthy and depressed. the employees didnt know a damn thing about aquariums either
petco/quarters is okay but their selections are limited.
i like weird and rare stuff.
i guess im picky.
maybe ill start a fish store ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I lived in Topsham for 20 years, but have lived in Vermont for the last 5 years. I spend a good part of the summer in Jefferson and will eventually be moving back there. When I left Maine, I was doing saltwater. I've been back to freshwater exclusively for a couple of years now. There are a couple of good shops 1 to 2 hours from me over here, so I've gotten used to having stuff available. Does anyone know about a new shop in Westbrook?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh, I just saw the LFS list. That's a help. There are a couple more that I know of. Vance's in Vasselboro. Louis Doe In Damariscotta has a pet department and a small selection of fish. Pet Life is all over too, it used to be The Kennel Shop.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I lived in Topsham for 20 years, but have lived in Vermont for the last 5 years. I spend a good part of the summer in Jefferson and will eventually be moving back there. When I left Maine, I was doing saltwater. I've been back to freshwater exclusively for a couple of years now. There are a couple of good shops 1 to 2 hours from me over here, so I've gotten used to having stuff available. Does anyone know about a new shop in Westbrook?
Shoot the selection in VT must be even less LOL. I used to go to Vermont a lot, to visit... You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

And Jefferson is really nice. I used to go there once a year or more. Moody's Diner or something like that is right near there right?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have family that lives south of Burlington. I spent a summer landscaping there 7 or 8 years ago. All anyone did after work was drink, drugs, and fish/hunt. I was like "yeah there has to be more to life than this" LOL.

Beautiful area though. Last time I went for a visit I drove my motorcycle. It was hard on my ass but the ride was beautiful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi fellow Mainers (and Mainers to be) I have lived here since 2005 up in Wiscasset. I started with 1-20 gallon and now I have 3 - 20g, 1-40g(turtle house right now) and what will be the turtles home a 55g (my husband is thrilled). Once I move Yertle the Turtle to his new home, I want to plant and stock the 40 g. I am looking for some ideas for the 40 gallon. I have been just winging it with the 20g until recently ( I know basic stuff but want to expand my knowledge and enjoyment). I love to watch the fish swim, it helps me to relax after a long day. The only known occupant for the 40g at this point is an 8" common pleco, the only fish my husband likes. Not sure what I will do with him when he outgrows the 40g. Here is what I have to date:

20g- Pleco and kuhli loaches (tank has snail problem thanks to a plant from petco)
Staghorn ferns

20g - Guppies (feeders for the Turtle, sorry if that upsets anyone, but I take good care of
them and I do like to watch them as well)
white pleco
Staghorn ferns and Amazon Swords - this is the only tank i have that my plants just
thrive in, use the excess in my other tanks, but still have problems getting them to
thrive
20g 4 Tetras
white pleco
Amazon Sword, Fern (not sure what kind) and stag horn fern.
I appreciate any input on the 40g, I will be starting the switch over in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That sucks about the Guppies LOL. I have some in my 30 gal that will be moving to my 10 gal once it is done cycling. But I hear they are easy to breed, so I guess that would make them ideal as a feeder fish LOL.

It has been my experience that just like fish, there are certain size tank restrictions for plants. I have had huge success growing my Argentine Swords in my 30 gallon, but in my nano tanks they did not work.

If you look in my tank journal for my 30 gallon, the swords on the right were only three inches total when I started them. Then they exploded. They will grow as large as they are able to. And they love root tabs, which I actually need to start doing again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the forums here. I live in York.

I currently have a 5 gallon with just a betta, and a 20 gallon with some community fish. I am hoping to set up a 40B for just rams, and plant it heavily... hence joining this forum.

There seems to be a shortage of shops. I assume everyone is buying their stuff online, or at Petco/Pet Life? I buy more things online than the average person, but I do like to put my eyes on fish/plants before buying them. I wish there were more aquarium shops around!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Nemawei! Welcome!

I moved up to Farmington from Boston this past year. I haven't setup my tank since the move which is why I haven't been super active on the forums lately. But I'm also interested in learning about LFS in the area. Even in Boston, I tended to purchase most hardware and some plants from online vendors and only used stores for livestock and occasional plants.

You should start a tank journal for your 40B!

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, new to the forum

I have a 36 gallon planted tank, cycling as we speak

I have a 5 gallon with separated bettas

I have a 6 gallon tank with some guppies and kuhli loach

I like Brooks in Brunswick, they have some knowledgeable staff, big plants, and a good range of fish

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just moved to Maine, outside Bangor. I have a five gallon I moved from New York which houses a betta, two amano shrimp, MTS, and an assortment of plants. I purchased a 30L shortly after I moved here, but I only have the tank and the stand.

I'm actually surprised at the selection of lfs in the area. There are two in Ellsworth. Bangor has PetCo/Petsmart and another called Pet Pros, where I bought my 30L. Not a HUGE selection but more than what I was expecting.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.