The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am a new member here and thought I would introduce myself. I love discus and have become a convert to planted aquaria.

I currently have a planted discus tank and have been learning the delicate art of balancing discus needs with those of plants. I have been doing it for about year and a half and prior to that I had fish for several years. Had my ups and downs...

Now I hope to learn from folks here some tricks that will make me more successful at this quest.

Cheers,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you kidding? Those plants look in great shape. You are growing some nice stuff in there.
Well some things do better than the other and some don't do well at all.

Almost all of my Japonica is gone now, it did not take to my tank very well. Also, for the life of me I can grow swords in there. I must have tried at least 6 times, and that's for something that should be very easy to grow.

Don't know if it is the temperature or something else. I have another tank which is very low tech and I am going to try growing swords in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A lot people have trouble growing certain types of plants. It must be something the plants do not like about your water parameters. Some grow well, while others do not.
I have a very strong feeling it is the high temperature...

I planted some swords in my low tech tank and they are doing great. There are no ferts, no CO2, crappy stock light and they are still growing whereas in my milti-dollar set up they just die.

I will try changing the substrate and see if that will make a difference if not I will stick to the few things that seem to grow well. In my discus tank.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Now that sounds very probable. I have heard from others with discus that certain plants do not grow as well due to the heat. Not being a discus owner, I don't know for certain. Just having large groups of the same plant looks better than a few stems of this and that a lot of the times. And this is coming from a person with severe collectoritis. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.