The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had tanks all my life, and just sort of taught myself how to do things I guess, so I have long done what sometimes seems unorthodox to those that learned from books or others.

I also have a tendency to collect aquariums and usually wind up having around a dozen tanks in various sizes at the least ... I jokingly call it my sickness, but it's one that I do not mind having. ;)

I seem to have a good touch with my tanks ... I often breed species that I'm told can't be breed or bred easily and once they start - they really seem to take off, to the point that I usually can't keep up with them! lol

I am attracted to the more unusual species I guess, and have long gotten past my aggressive monster sized critter phase and tend to prefer calmer more community and smaller sized things.

I sort of fell out of my tanks after doing a forced move, and suffering 3 tanks breaking at 3 am that were my main fish holders and the fish not surviving in buckets until the morning when I could get into storage to get more tanks. That was almost 5 years ago, and since then I haven't had any tanks at home ... which is the longest I've not had tanks in my home since I was like seriously around 3 years old.

Long story sorta short, I rent and I've had three houses that I have rented in the past 5 years get foreclosed (guess the landlords weren't paying the mortgages with the rent I was paying every month) so have been reluctant to set up tanks again because I loathe moving them and the last move devastated me as I was seriously attached to those fish as I'd bred every one of them and they were great fish.

The only tank that was left was the one in my office, which suffered when the power once went out over the weekend, leaving my once lively tank down to 2 corys and 3 kuhlie loaches. Just so much loss that it drained me out of3wanting to deal with tanks and then with all the moving from city to city, that left my funds low, which is never a great thing with this hobby, lol! The corys died recently (I bought them like 8 years ago as adults, so not too surprising I guess), and so the tank just has seemed very forlorn and quite empty.

Anyways, I just got up my gumption to fix it up again as I realized how much I miss my tanks! Bought two fishes just to have *something* swimming in it ... and well, that's all it took I guess! Now I want to fix it up again and I realized that hey! I bet there are forums and sites and groups of folks like me out there (it didn't occur to me to look for that sort of thing online back when I was really active with my fish 5 years ago!) ... and so did a Google search and then found you guys!

I've always kept a natural and planted tank because that's just the kind of tank that has always appealed to me, but I've pretty much just being doing it by trial and error all these years lol, and never really considered how much more I might be able to learn or what new ideas or techniques might be out there until today!

So from what I can tell, I'm low low low lowwwww tech (LOL) and I know I'm not doing stuff by the rules, because I don't think I've ever really needed the rules to have my tanks and animals flourish and I have tended to have a very Darwinian approach to things. But hoiping to learn new things and maybe open my mind and start being a little more proactive in my learning than I have in the past!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohh it's sad sad sad ... lol. I work in Davis, so have had years of mineral deposits on the back that I need to clean up, and right now all I have is some anubis floating around and a few rocks and two tunnels my male fire eel was housed in this tank after the female fire eel started terrorizing him so it's not really "planted" because ... well, eels and planted tanks don't go together very well once the eels start hitting their adult sizes LOL.

So it is hideous compared to everyone else's tanks here - I'm rather embarrassed I let it get this bad! It looks so forlorn right now, I really neglected it.

Right now, its only using an underground plate filter and an old aqua clear filter ... this was originally used for my growing tank for my angel fish, discus, and farrowellas, so once they were free swimmers, I'd throw them in this 30 gallon and use the underground until they were strong enough for the aqua clear filter to be used. Although I've had corys spawn in it as well, I wasn't actually trying with them. LOL

I'm eyeing a Fluval 305 for it ... thinking that a 405 might just be too much current, but not sure.

I will need to get a new light (right now it's using natural light, as it is by a window, which actually does really nicely surprising enough) as the mineral deposits (Davis water is HARD, we have a joke that you don't shower in Davis, you sandblast!) killed the light a long time ago and I need a new heater (the temp stays around 78 degrees, but I should probably pop it back up to 80). Oh there IS natural moss I guess that i growing on the decorations and rocks, but maybe it's a type of algae? Not sure.

I bought a little angel (seriously have a soft spot for angels and discus) and thought I'd go for like maybe 3 male rainbows (since I'm not trying to breed right now, as that's just too much commitment, I want to ease back into this thing lol) and they will be nice and colorful and all over the tank and was thinking I might want to try going for a more heavily planted tank like I used to do before I got into my fire eels trip, lol.

But I scored what I think is a juvie turquoise rainbow that was misidentified as a giant danio - for like 2 bucks and it's possible it's a female, but still too young to really tell, sooo who knows, might wind up breeding the things despite myself lol.

I'd take a pic but seriously ... it's embarrassing how sad this tank is, LOL!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah ... thinking of trying to hunt down a farrowella - but I tend to stick to the dwarf species of plecos - I hate trying to find new homes for when they get too big or feeling like I have to seriously consider having to set up the 100 and I'm just not remotely ready to commit to setting that beast up again until I actually am SURE I won't be moving for a decade or so.

I like shrimps, but ... angels and rainbows tend to view those as food once they are fully mature and of a decent size and right now I have the lame aqua clear filter, so they'll all wind up in that blasted thing and I love them in the water, but I HATE them in my filters when I go to clean them. LOL.

I have been seeing those little planted tanks JUST for shrimp and I admit - that idea is capturing my heart! I think that I would LOVE having a tiny little planted tank JUST for some fancy shrimp and maybe a few tiny fishies depending on the size of the tank.

I just went browsing to find new fish stores in my area since all the places I *used* to love to go to 5 years ago are now all gone! And they all had the sweetest little tanks set up just for shrimps or a betta or a few barbs or tetras ... I totally fell in love with them LOL, hopefully I can learn a lot more about how to do a planted tank here as I'd never have dreamed of trying to do those miniature planted tanks on that scale!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive never been very good with laying down silicone (or chalking for that matter) lol, so Id never trust a water tank that I had made myself I don't think, I'd be terrified that it would start leaking - I'm envious of your skill with that stuff!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, since I was in my garage, I grabbed a few pics of the tanks that are in there as I was hunting for my 2 gallon setup for a nano tank I wanted to start for my office to go with the 30 gallon there.

Figured I'd throw them up here - maybe one day I'll get them set up again and they will be good "before" pictures ... right now it seems a little sad to see to me.

Two of my terrarium tanks ...

The water 100 gallon tank on its stand with a think a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon on the floor next to it. There is a 5 gallon I think in the 100 gallon and there I see my 2 (or 2.5) gallon!

Better view of the tanks on the floor ... one of my fav pieces of driftwood is in the 10 ... I also collect wood - I have tubs and tubs of driftwood and grapevine and manzanita and bunches of rocks I use them for tanks as well as my sculptures and artwork - I am such a weirdo! LOL.

And here is a better view of my 2 gallon (in the red box) that I'm trying to grab to do my little office nano tank .... I think that's a 5 gallon underneath it - not sure ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.