The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm Lisa or Kevin and Lisa

We bought a tank 10 days ago now its a 2.5 gallon, 2 mini fake coral orniments. 1 fluvel mini filter and a heater. We're keeping a constant heat of 76'c and water is clear with the water ph balancer chemicle.

THE PROMBLEM :angryfire
I bought 8 neon carnials ( i think) I have got 2 swimming upside down and around and around. So i have done the 50% water change, I have cleaned the filter (in old tank water, so not to break the establishment). I have not fed them for a day and have given the 2 pea's out of the shell. I have tried all this stuff and still no change can any one help Ph at 5.9.

I put 8 fish in told this is all the tank cld handle...

Thank you for your help Lisa:D

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There are several problems with your setup that should be addressed.

Firstly, since you purchased the tank 10 days ago, I assume the tank has not been cycled? What are your readings for ammonia and nitrites?

Secondly, a 2.5g tank is much too small for 8 Neon or Cardinal tetras (which do you have?). In fact, I would not use a 2.5g for any fish, save a Betta, but even then, it would be pushing it. The smaller the tank, the harder it will be to maintain it, since there is a very small water volume. If things go bad, they can go awry very quickly in small volume tanks.

Next are your coral ornaments. What colour are these (white)? If they are indeed white, they would be dead coral pieces, which would leech calcium carbonate into your water column.

Finally is your pH balancer chemical. These are totally unnecessary, and will more often than not cause undue stress to your fish. You would be trying to fight the buffering capability of your water when using these chemicals, and the rapid shift of pH is deadly to fish.

While cleaning the filter in old tank water is good, it is likely pointless as beneficial bacteria have not had time to properly colonize the filter media.

Also, just as a reminder, when you are doing water changes (which would have to be at least once a day, since your tank is not cycled), be sure to add water conditioner as well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's all good advice. The only thing I'd disagree with is that you can certainly, indeed, keep a single male Betta in a 2.5-gallon tank, and I'd suggest that you consider that for the tank. There are some other fish that you could keep in that kind of small quarters but the male Betta's probably the nicest of them. If you do want to keep a number of fish in a tank, you'd need to get a tank larger than the one that you have.

But, whatever you do, read up on how to cycle a freshwater fish tank and also read up on the needs of any fish that you want to keep before you acquire the fish or fishes.

Don't look at all this as "bad news." The good news is that, hopefully, it would motivate you to get a larger tank, which would actually be easier to care for and give a much wider variety of options of which kinds or kinds of fish to keep. Along with that, the enjoyment if far greater.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thumbsup:
Or motivate you to slap whoever told you to put 8 fish in that guy. ^ all good info, hope it works out for you Lisa.

I live in calgary, ab canada and i went to the aquarium store he sold me every thing :eek: I am so angry :mad: as i asked him to tell me everything and it cost me $200.

Looks like i'm gonna lose the fish doesnt it...

Thanks for all your help.:D I will have to venture and buy a bigger tank i feel terriable that i have lost 2 already and one will be gone in the morning. I cant believe i get upset over :fish:. I love to just sit and watch them and listen to the tank! I am going to try the daily water changes and the stuff i put in the conditioner.

Will buying living plants help until i can get a bigger tank up and running next weekend?!

I was asking him about cherry shrimp and snails in the tank but obviously he was selling me what he had.

Well thankyou all again for :help:

Lisa

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just as a heads-up, definitely read into cycling and maintaining a tank before getting into shrimp. Shrimp other than Red Cherries are pretty demanding and all shrimp are pretty sensitive to nitrates. Also, if you do decide to get shrimp make sure you haven't used any compounds containing copper, (for killing snails or other such purposes, as anything that kills one type of invert will kill your shrimp as well).

With the current issues you're facing, getting some live plants might help with your issues as the plants may take up some of your problem waste compounds and may ease the cycle if you have some bacteria hitchhike in, but it definitely will not solve your problem in one shot.

Best bet if you can is to move the fish into a CLEAN NEVER USED FOR ANYTHING ELSE 5 gallon bucket (you can get one for $2.50 from Home Depot / Lowe's whatever home improvement store you have nearby. Keep doing your daily water changes, keep running the filter to allow establishment of your beneficial bacteria and keep oxygenating the water / providing flow.

Also, the 5G bucket would be a stopgap which would at least allow you some more margin for error since you have an extremely high bioload for 2.5 gallons of water (i.e. that size tank will build up waste much more quickly than the 5 gallon bucket (since double the volume)). The stopgap would also allow you time to go purchase a bigger tank since long-term you definitely won't be able to keep so many fish in such a small tank.

Good luck and keep us updated. By searching out help and posting here, you're at least on the right path to saving as many fish as you can (and getting super-addicted to the hobby!).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I would like to add putting them in a bucket is a good idea as it would probably reduse stress as well being dark and all. You might even want to cover the top and put it in a dark area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts