The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

Sounds to me like you're considering making "algae logs" for your herbivores to feed on. That can easily be done, and it doesn't have to be in an aquarium, per se. Just put a bin full of water with your rock or driftwood or whatever in a spot that gets lots of sunlight (at least 8 hrs/day- the more, the better). So yes, if you want to grow algae under flourescent lights, then the longer you leave on the lights, the more algae you should get.

Not many things will eat green spot algae. Nerite snails are one of the few critters tht I've come across that will.

I agree that your plecos need to be split up, as they will become more and more territorial as they get closer to sexual maturity. BN plecos also really need both driftwood and fresh veggies in their diet no matter what type of tank they are in (planted or nonplanted), so that's something you need to address. BN plecos are actually one of the best plecos for planted tanks, as for the most part they're pretty gentle on plants.

Your upside down catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) is a schooling fish so really needs more of its own kind to thrive. You should probably move it to the larger tank and get it some companions once you have the new tank.

What size new tank are you thinking of getting?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Can't say how long it would take for algae to coat rocks kept inside the house (yes you can do this), I'm sure it would differ from house to house. Perhaps a few weeks on average, given lots of light and some fertilizer?

You'd probably want to change the water from time to time to keep it from going stagnant.

You could use rocks you collect yourself. I'd clean them with very hot water and perhaps even a little bleach, let them dry completely, and then clean them again with just water before you put them in the tank. You may also want to do the vinegar test (pour some on the rocks and see if it bubbles) to try and avoid rocks that will leech into your tank.

Your common pleco will eventually need a very large tank, as they can easily grow over 14-18". I've seen some that were 24" even. Unless you're planning a pond in the near future, you may want to rehome him.

It does sound like that Pristella tetra has some sort of disorder. Could be genetic, could be resulting from an infection... he may be able to function just fine, though so I'd just keep an eye on how things go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts