The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Long story short.
I've had to purchase another fish tank because fish we bought decided to have babies that night. Most didn't survive but the ones that did are now living in the main tank again, also a small one alone is in there but I wasn't setting up an entire aquarium that I had just put away for one baby, but then some fish got sick and needed to get it back out anyways.
Instead of putting it away again I'm curious for a few things.

One, I have 3 plecos, an upside down catfish, and a snail in the main tank as my algae fighting force, and they do a wonderful job. (30 gallon fresh water tank) Everywhere except on the top half of my banana plants. They started getting green spot algae slowly but it's starting to leave the bananas themselves and go up the stems just a little. I don't know why the plecos don't go on top to eat it away but they keep the bottoms clean, unless the light is the reason it grows more on top, which still doesn't explain why they don't eat it at night.

Anyways, I was wondering what animal I could put in there that is especially good at getting rid of green spot algae (other then what I already have). I was thinking some kind of shrimp but I'm not sure if any of my fish would bully them to death. I have non-aggressive fish but my wag tail platys are kind of rough and like pulling on plants and they knock my snail over to nibble food off him that he's been eating.

Secondly, bringing me back to the now empty tank. I was thinking of making it a planted tank and to put some stones around inside to grow algae on, when the stone had algae on them I was thinking of putting it in the other tank for the algae eaters to have a sort of treat.

Unless anyone recommends against that? I've heard of people who put the stones in with goldfish since they dirty their water more often, but I really don't want goldfish.

My favorite fish are the plecos hands down. Putting a pleco in the planted tank however would kind of defeat the purpose unless I always fed him discs, vegetables, and fruits to keep him full. So my main questions would be

Should I do this? (Referring to making a planted tank with some kind of fish to look at in it, while it creates algae on rocks.)

If so, what kind of fish other then gold fish would be helpful for this reason?

What sort of plants would you recommend?

Any other ideas or suggestions for any of this?

and a side question of obviously but just checking, a plant light being on longer then the main tanks light would help in algae growth correct?

By this I mean my main tank lights on usually from sometime in the afternoon (12-2) til I go to bed depending on the time, unless there's enough light in the room that it can wait until later. The main tanks light is a plant light. Which I'm guessing with this new tank if I get a plant light and have it on even longer, technically the algae should grow faster?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, and I really do mean this as no offense, but I didn't ask your opinion on my tank size.

I already have plans to purchase a larger tank when I have the money and when it will be needed, as for now, one pleco is large, and by pleco standards it's still small, the other 2 are very small, one turned out to be an albino bristle-nose instead of just a normal albino pleco, and the other one is looking to be a female bristle-nose. I only assume this because the pet store said she was a bristle-nose yet there's no bristles and shes spotted.

If anyone will need a bigger tank soon it's my big fat upside-down catfish. He's twice as thick as my largest pleco lol

·
Banned
64 Posts
The bushy nose pleco's are really easy to sex. Compare male to female and the male usually will have larger and more prominent "bushy nose" and will grow faster. The females get less of a bushy nose and grow slower.

I just wish my peacock bass didn't eat my female as I had a breeding pair that bred already in my tank. I just didn't have time to take care of them, as life happened.

You should start to consider a new tank regardless soon. If you have two males, they will fight (unless they have individual territory hiding spots already but they will still have issues time to time), two females and one male might work for a good amount of time in that tank. Regardless it shouldn't be long before you have issues with all of the pleco's in that small of a tank.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

Sounds to me like you're considering making "algae logs" for your herbivores to feed on. That can easily be done, and it doesn't have to be in an aquarium, per se. Just put a bin full of water with your rock or driftwood or whatever in a spot that gets lots of sunlight (at least 8 hrs/day- the more, the better). So yes, if you want to grow algae under flourescent lights, then the longer you leave on the lights, the more algae you should get.

Not many things will eat green spot algae. Nerite snails are one of the few critters tht I've come across that will.

I agree that your plecos need to be split up, as they will become more and more territorial as they get closer to sexual maturity. BN plecos also really need both driftwood and fresh veggies in their diet no matter what type of tank they are in (planted or nonplanted), so that's something you need to address. BN plecos are actually one of the best plecos for planted tanks, as for the most part they're pretty gentle on plants.

Your upside down catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) is a schooling fish so really needs more of its own kind to thrive. You should probably move it to the larger tank and get it some companions once you have the new tank.

What size new tank are you thinking of getting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You Blindkiller85 for the information. My tank has a large roundish/mountain-like driftwood thing with a space behind it in the corner, my upside-down catfish stays on the wood, my large pleco stays on the glass, the small female pleco stays on the bottom and the albino usually swims up above my banana leaves and sleeps on top of them (they obviously swim around with one another but that's just where I presume their "territory" is)
and the banana leaves have gotten pretty big and now span then length of the tanks surface by 3 leaves, which I do believe it's 30 long.

I'm actually surprised because my small albino bushy-nosed is the aggressive one and he's 3-5x smaller then the big pleco. Now I'm not saying aggressive like he's out for blood but if the large pleco is out and about eating something and the albino wants it he's not afraid to push the beast out of the way X] and I do believe the smallest may be a female bushy-nose then because It kind of seems she's growing slowly. Also does anyone have any good pictures of a bushy-nose with all it's bristles sticking out?

I have yet to see mine do this but my dad and sister say they have both seen mine do this when they come up to the tank too fast and surprise him, or if he's on the wall and one of my platys is bothering him. Apparently he sticks a bunch of bristles up and not just around his nose/mouth it's around his gills and eyes as well. Any pictures I've seen the bristles look to be just around their mouth like on top their head and somewhat below. Again I've never seen this so I may be understanding them wrong.

Thank You lauraleellbp for your information. This info is great news it means I don't have to focus on an algae tank and can have whatever I'd like in it.

Nerite snails huh?..I have a mystery snail right now but I never see him on the plants and he's an odd one, we've had him for a while now and he..well "sleeps" on his side with his foot half sticking out and I guess my platys.."clean" his foot? lol then he gets up and acts all normal.

Other then the mountain-like driftwood chunk sitting in there I don't give them any wood..I did feed them oh what was it..papaya maybe, and after a day or two when it really got squishy that albino pleco went nuts on that thing like cat nip for a cat I don't know what it was but he was eating it all over so much so that he ripped it in half (this is while it was floating upside-down) XD The large pleco wanted nothing to do with it when it was sunk but both the smaller ones liked it.

The only time my larger pleco was rough with the plants is when I placed one too close to "his wall" which is along the back, so he "kindly moved it" for me. Which means he wiggled between the wall and the plant until it was far enough away lol
By the way how do you tell between male and female plecos? Just the normal ones, because I only have one so I couldn't compare it to another one. I'll try to get pictures of them today.

Question though, fish can survive without a swim bladder or a damaged one right?
I received a pristella tetra when I bought my 4-5 of them and one is always "riding his horse" because he bobs his front half up and down in the water, it's I believe almost been a year now so obviously he's fine.
The reason I ask if it may be the swim bladder is because since you can see through them, It's liver-shaped and shiny silver on all them except him, his is..well he doesn't have one.

As for tank size I'm thinking of getting "The Tank" XD You'll know what I mean if you ever seen that fish tank that guy put in his basement from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWHSbu6kLwk.

Of course that won't be happening unless I hit the lottery, in which case I'll dig my entire yard up and make a large underground aquarium then put the grass back and have door-way through my basement to it lol

Anyways, I'm hoping and praying I can get a 100-150 gallon for a good price, there's a sort of friend of my moms who owns a pet warehouse and I think we got our 25 gallon for like 10 bucks, of course it was just the tank for that price but still, better then getting a crumby plastic one at the same size from some places, ridiculous prices on them. My 30 gallon I got at a great price, FREE! lol my friends mom was selling it but since no one bought it she gave it to me, and that included the nice wooden stand,the light/lid, and tank lol plus some free little things like a smaller tank filter and such.

Anyways what tank size do you recommend? Are you saying all 3 of my plecos are going to need to be in separate tanks at some point? or at least the 2 bushy-nosed in the same one and the big one in a different one. I will go and take some pictures of them right now and post them in a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

1st - the spotted one, presumed to be the female bushy-nose
2nd - the albino bushy-nose
3rd - the upside-down catfish and normal pleco
4th - the odd tetra whos back end is always moving up and down.

Sorry for bad quality pics and the glass is dirty right now.
Also I did run back real fast once I saw that white thing on the large plecos picture, thankfully it was just something on the outside of the glass -wipes forehead- fwew X]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I think I forgot to ask you lauraleellbp, if I get a plastic bin with one of those snap on lids or whatever and fill it with water for the algae stones/logs.

1. Can it work in-doors as well as outdoors? Because it's winter right now and outdoors will clearly not work.

2. How long will that usually take from point A - filling it with water and placing the stones in, to point B - placing the algae covered stones in the fish tank.

3. Will I at any point need to change the water, add more, or do anything else with it.

On a side note, I'm clearly not going to do the following with my fish, and if it is possible then I would be using a small tank and possibly purchase a few cheap feeder fish to test it with to see if there's any bad effects to the water, but you know how if you go to a creek/river in the woods and there's the algae/slimey-ness to the river rocks, or underwater moss-like stuff on them near springs under the water, would those be useable at all? Because if so they would look so much better and obviously be free, rather then going to a store and buying some. Just an idea. If not would the rocks still be useable if you simply scrubbed them with hot water?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Can't say how long it would take for algae to coat rocks kept inside the house (yes you can do this), I'm sure it would differ from house to house. Perhaps a few weeks on average, given lots of light and some fertilizer?

You'd probably want to change the water from time to time to keep it from going stagnant.

You could use rocks you collect yourself. I'd clean them with very hot water and perhaps even a little bleach, let them dry completely, and then clean them again with just water before you put them in the tank. You may also want to do the vinegar test (pour some on the rocks and see if it bubbles) to try and avoid rocks that will leech into your tank.

Your common pleco will eventually need a very large tank, as they can easily grow over 14-18". I've seen some that were 24" even. Unless you're planning a pond in the near future, you may want to rehome him.

It does sound like that Pristella tetra has some sort of disorder. Could be genetic, could be resulting from an infection... he may be able to function just fine, though so I'd just keep an eye on how things go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, well Like I said I do plan on getting him a bigger tank, and I believe the current tank is 30 inches long so he's alright until then, probably ask my parents and grandparents to get me a combo birthday gift in April (fish tank).

Also, the tetra has been that way since we got him, which was a year ago this summer, so I don't think I'll have any problems with him.

I believe I saw a youtube video of a 24 inch pleco, I can only hope mine get's that big X]
if he does its an automatic reason to be allowed a larger tank, which means my other tank will have an empty spot for a new fish haha X]

But yeah, Thanks for the algae info and all your help, and you didn't answer my one question, would a 100 or 150 gallon be fine for the pleco? I mean now of course it would be but say he got to that 24 or even 25 inch mark.

Edit: I did plan a pond outside but I didn't think to have a pleco in it, by pond I mean a small to medium sized koi pond next to the house, but again it had to be put off because my family decided they want chickens so sometime this month we'll be getting those and having to spend money to buy materials for a coop and all that stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.