The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new here, but I've seen a lot of amazing planted tanks on this forum that have really inspired me to get things going with my betta tank. I figured I should probably register and start posting so I can make the most of my little tank! (Though I'm very afraid that being here will make me want to get more, bigger tanks... lol) Anyway, I went to my LFS last night and got some stuff and did my first "aquascaping" I guess it's called? :p

So here it is!

(Water is a bit cloudy because I'm impatient and couldn't wait for things to settle before taking pictures.)

Specs:
- 6.6 gallons (probably more like 6, because I can't fill it all the way because my betta needs to breathe!)
- Tetra internal filter (rated for 1-3 gallons but the next size up wouldn't fit because the tank is so shallow, I figure this isn't a huge deal because I have lots of plants and just one fish, and don't mind doing extra/higher volume water changes)
- Aqueon submersible 50w heater (tank is kept at 80F)
- Fluorescent 15w red light bulb (probably need to upgrade this?) on a timer: 12 hrs on/12 hrs off
- Petco brand sand
- Liquid fertilizer (I should probably also get some root tabs?)
- Driftwood and broken flower pot as decorations

Plants:
- Cryptocoryne
- Anacharis
- Java moss
- Marimo ball
- Banana lily

Critters:
- Male betta
- Two ghost shrimp

Soo what do you think? Suggestions/ideas are more than welcome, I'm pretty new to this ;)

I wanted to tie the moss to the driftwood but I couldn't find any fishing line at Walmart, so it's going a little crazy right now heh.

And here's my boy, Ammo!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I love the bookshelf tank - I had one up for years.... And I love 'Ammo" he's beautiful! Looks like your off to a great start. It might be fun to add a few crypts to looks like they are coming out of the pots. also FWIW, I had an Aqua Clear 20 or 30 filter on mine and instead of using the extension end piece to the intake I used a piece of black foam with a hole cut in the middle over it to keep things out of the filter and it worked great. It made it the perfect length. I was also able to hide the heater in it as well.

Anyway, your tank looks great - I'll be looking forward to see more of Ammo and your tank updates!

Duff

·
Registered
652 Posts
I really love this tank size and nice start, when the plants fill in and grow more little plants it will start to look fantastic.

And Oh wow, your betta is amazing! I've always wanted to get my hands on a black and white one like Ammo, i breed plakats and crowntail, and have yet to be able to come up with one like yours.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Yeah Ammo was my very lucky Petco find. Had him for a few months now and he's doing great, even despite living in a vase for awhile :\ Oh well, now I know better and he's much better off :p

I went back to the LFS today and got some more anacharis, I was hoping for some java fern to add a bit more variety but they didn't have any that looked good. I also got some duckweed, I just love how it gives he whole tank a green tint! I think I may also need a few rocks. Hmmm...

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
nice start...you might consider evening out the front of the substrate with a credit card...and don't use fishing line to tie moss to driftwood....use cotton thread...the thread will melt eventually by the time the moss attaches...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the anacharis grows too tall, just clip it off with a pair of scissors. You can then plant the tips you cut and have even more plants!
It's pretty tall already (my tank is short though) and I've been debating trimming them, but I think my betta likes the cover... I'm a bit worried about them blocking the light from the other plants though?

nice start...you might consider evening out the front of the substrate with a credit card...and don't use fishing line to tie moss to driftwood....use cotton thread...the thread will melt eventually by the time the moss attaches...
Oh thanks for the tip! I didn't know thread was okay to use, only ever heard of using fishing line. But that's perfect, because I already have some thread ;) And yeah the unevenness of the sand was bugging me too, I fixed it a bit but it's still a little crooked in some places! I will have to try that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Auuuuubz :D haha yeah I've been lurking for awhile... figured it was about time, now that I actually have a planted tank! and yay for goodies!

I just scooped out a good portion of the duckweed, I think I had a bit too much in there lol. Also arranged the anacharis so they're not blocking the light as much, don't have the heart to cut them (yet...)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gave in and trimmed the anacharis and rearranged it a little bit. Good thing, I discovered that some of the leaves were turning brown... any idea why this would be? Lack of light? I really need to get a new bulb, and root tabs I think. I would also really like to add some java fern or grass of some kind but my LFS hasn't had much to choose from. Also found one of my ghost shrimp dead today :\ He was all pink, like he'd been cooked! The other one is still MIA... so not having much luck with the shrimp lol. I may have to get a snail instead!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spent pretty much all day at work on this forum, so what do I do when I get home? Drag the hubby to the LFS and pick up some new plants, then come home and completely re-do the whole tank. lol >.<

I really wasn't happy with the driftwood anyway, I like it but it's not right for this tank. I'm going to soak it some more then put in safe keeping until I get another tank ;) So I found some rocks... not sure if I really like them yet or not. I also added some dwarf hair grass and baby tears. What do you think?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I attached the java moss to the bigger rock with a hairnet, looks much better I think! I also finally got some root tabs, and a proper light bulb (15w 6500K T8) so hopefully things will start filling out now :)

·
I &#9829; BBA!
12,768 Posts
Ammo is gorgeous, Penny! I am extremely envious of that boy. Your tank is progressing nicely. Hang in there with the algae, you'll beat it in no time. And I can't help but giggle at your duckweed, as I think we all go through that love/hate relationship.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL - yeah I think the duckweed would have been a better idea in a bigger tank that doesn't need as many water changes... Oh well. I sent it to someone on the betta forum who will hopefully love it, at least for awhile :p

Thank you! As you suggested, here are pictures of the tank under algae invasion so that I can look back eventually and see how much better it's gotten...

And it's not really planted, but here is my other betta tank, for good measure :)

"Emo"! Because he has black eyeliner ;D

·
I &#9829; BBA!
12,768 Posts
I remember that algae fondly :D: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/834789-post33.html

It'll go away in no time, you'll see. If it weren't for the anarchis, I'd suggest H202 (hydrogen peroxide). Honestly, based on your description in the algae forum I was expecting much worse. The tank looks nice under the algae.

Know what you mean on the duckweed entirely. Have you thought about salvinia minima? Much less invasive and beautiful.

I love emo! Nice eyeliner. And the cave terracotta pot is awesome. I really like it. :D Your betters are beautiful.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.