The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick post to say hello. I had a nice, simple 20 gal low-tech tank about ten years ago. Then I moved to Florida and gave that tank away.

Recently I came into an odd 20WX18DX31T 55 gal tank and am going to do a mostly low-tech/DIY project. I do understand that this is about just the opposite of what one wants for a good planted tank. Should be fun, nonetheless. :)

Here is day 1:Waiting for fluorite haze to settle. Looks kinda creepy cool at this point.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113443843264033614044/posts/dXtbxJWCmhL

:fish1:

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
am going to do a mostly low-tech/DIY project. I do understand that this is about just the opposite of what one wants for a good planted tank. Should be fun, nonetheless. :)
:fish1:
Welcome to the forum!
Stop with the ragging on your own plan LOL!
DIY low tech can be a good looking tank it's just stuff fills in slower.
Hope you found a home here on the net.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Welcome aboard Nate. Got a really great bunch of people here very wiling to help.

Except me of course!

Where about in Tampa?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Welcome Nate. Looks interesting! Low tech tanks can be fun and full and lush as well it just may take longer to fill in.

The forums here are awesome I've learned so much. Feel free to start a tank journal thread, I never thought that I'd start one and now I have two lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... back to square zero

Last night. I woke up at 2 am to the sound of ~30 gallons of water
gushing onto the couch, chairs, floors, etc. The side seal of the silicone came lose. Water squeezed out with so much force it actually pushed a section on
the silicone to the outside of the tank. What a mess. And it seriously messed up my night's sleep. :icon_evil

We are looking into replacement options tonight. This may, in fact, be a blessing in disguise because now I can take my time and get a tank that will work better for plants. :wink:

-Nate

PS: I live in the New Tampa area.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got at new 37 gallon tank today that the kids and I will set up tonight, so it is all good. :)

And my wife's parents want to get us a new couch for Christmas. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey there, GS. Nice to see a local person. From years of looking at the tanks at the State Fair, I figured there must be some plant folks around.

I've thought about different things. I'm going to start with java ferns, because I've proven in the past that they are nearly indestructible. After that, we'll see. :)

Here is attempt #2. 37 gallon set up 2 hours ago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha, my daughter is allergic to strawberries.... so we haven't made it yet.

At the fair their is competition and they display 30 or so tanks. Some are gorgeous. Seems like a giant pain to set them up there for just two weeks, but they do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts