The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of tanks do u have? I have a 55 newly planted community, my current USA sat+ light will be here tomorrow so hopefully it'll start growing better. My son has a 60tall with LARGE community fish that he aquired when I decided to plant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What kind of tanks do u have? I have a 55 newly planted community, my current USA sat+ light will be here tomorrow so hopefully it'll start growing better. My son has a 60tall with LARGE community fish that he aquired when I decided to plant.
I have a 46g bowfront planted, which you can see here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view&id=17585&n=drice6900

Or my journal here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=559498

55g sounds great! Are you using CO2, or keeping to the slower growing plants with less light? I assume you are also doing the RO thing with your water, since the well water out here is pretty rough for plants.

There is a lack of really good stores around us for plants, but I find Moby Dick's in Waterford to be pretty good. I also like Anchor Bay Aquarium over in New Baltimore, Pruess Pets in Lansing, and Blue Fish over in GR when I am out that way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No co2 just dosing excel. I actually jus got the sat+ light for the tank. Hoping to stay away from co2 for now. I have som blue hygro, wisteria, small tiger lily
Java fern Anubis and attempting hair grass but that's not doing well. I'm only a couple weeks into this so still trial and error. No r/o here just trying with the water I have. Kh is thru the roof and ph is 8.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang just checked out your tank. Looks really good. Dunno if I'll get that far but since I changed from gravel to black diamond substrate and got my nitrates under control I've noticed huge improvements. I also have an amazon sword that is starting its second new leaf this week. I'm thinking of starting ei dosing pretty soon put want to kind of get a baseline with what I have so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, my well water is very hard and iron filled, so I picked up one of these and it makes a big difference:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+26888&pcatid=26888

I run a splitter at the laundry sink for the RO unit, return the waste to the sink, and run the good water to a 40 gallon plastic storage container. Since it is in the basement, I have a small heater in the container to keep the water around 70 degrees or so. Just have to remember to turn the water off once the container is full (found that out the hard way - good thing the floor drain is close lol)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi all, This is Dean from Metamora. I too am new to this site. I am running a 55gal planted tank with sand and Gravel. I will also be starting a 55gal cube here soon which I hope to have soil in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome, drondy! I am a few miles south of you in Ortonville. Post some pics of your tanks, when you have a chance.

Very happy the storms over the weekend rolled south of us, although I feel bad for those in Lake Orion. Power poles were down all over their town.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.