The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Not new to keeping fish I have been keeping fish for 5-6 years. I currently have 23 tanks with fish and 8 or 9 empty waiting for new fish. Started building my fish room little over a year ago so I could keep everything together in one room and make my life easier.

Only about half my tanks have plants and that is something I have been working on fixing but I would rather get my current tanks growing well before buying more plants. I'm doing mostly low tech plants Java fern, Naga grass, Amazon swords, Fountain plants, and Myrio filligree. I like the simple plants because with so many lights I can't afford the expensive ones on them all.

For fish I have a lot of livebearers, Oscars, Angels, Convicts, cory cats, and a few others. I really like the South America fish and again simple fish. I'm thinking about setting up a cardinal tetra tank with 20-30 and lots of plants but not sure yet.

Well there is a little about me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was just thinking I need to post a photo. I know it's a mess but it is a work in progress.

These are from last month.

This is my main rack I built last year. Holds 8 full tanks right now and the ones on the very top are all empty

Water Organism Aquatic plant Pet supply Terrestrial plant

This is my ten gallon rack I build in last month. It holds 9 ten gallon tanks, the tanks are 2 shrimp, Goodeas, 2 Killifish, 4 livebearer and 1 Dwarf puffer tank. The puffer I got last night so still new.
Blue Shelving Wood Shelf Tire

And last we have on the left two 29g one the angel fry, and one Convict tanks. Center is my 150g oscar tank, they are only 7-8 months old so still growing into it, under that two 29g with silver dollars I'm growing out to put in the oscar tank. On the right two 20g H tanks I have not converted to planted tanks.
Water Green Organism Pet supply Fish

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Very nice!

And I thought I had a lot! (18 tanks running)
You got your own little LFS right in your own house haha!

Do you even breed any of the fish?

Start using that green thumb and growing plants in all those tanks and you can pull in a nice chunk of change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice!

And I thought I had a lot! (18 tanks running)
You got your own little LFS right in your own house haha!

Do you even breed any of the fish?

Start using that green thumb and growing plants in all those tanks and you can pull in a nice chunk of change.

Thank you, 18 is a pretty good number for sure. The key to make sure they are easy to maintain and with that many I'm sure you have found that out already.

My room has been growing for a while, I really kicked into gear in 2014 when I found my 150g tank. My room is different than most fish rooms I have seen, most people put the tanks narrow side out so they can get more tanks. That is cool but not what I went for with mine. My goal is to have all my tanks be like a display tank. Also thinking about adding four 75g tanks this summer after I move my Gecko rack out, that will push me over 1,000 gallons. So it could be larger than some LFS.

I do breed a few different fish,
Goodea gracilis
Poecilia minima
Angel cichlid
Killifish (working on getting these to breed)
2 shrimp tanks (cherry and pumpkin)
Pink Convict cichlids

I have thought about some other cichlids like rams but not sure yet. Have tried to breed cory cats but can't get those to work with my schedule. :laugh2:

I know plants can be a big cost so I watch for deals, last month a big chain store had their plants 90% off so they could remodel their system so I bought most of what they had. My goal is to get those plants growing well then start to spread them to other tanks. I know it might tank a while but it is much cheaper.

My next purchase will be new lights for the tanks. I have had pretty good luck growing the low tech plants on 48" shop lights so hope to get 4 or 5 more of those.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where have you been??? i need more plants for sure )))

welcome to forum!

Right around new years my wife talked me into going to one of the local Meijer (we have 3 in the city) with her. I always walk thru the fish area to to see what they have but I saw the had a sign 90% off all fish and plants. Turns out they are remodeling the store and said it's cheaper to sell everything then restock then try to keep it alive.

So I picked out all the plants that didn't look dead already. I got just under $200 worth of plants for less than $20. So far most if it is doing well. I also picked up some fish because at that price it was worth the risk. Luckily I just built my 10g rack and had set up my 29g (to the left of the 150g). Most of the tanks already had water and I had put my extra sponge filters into tanks the week before to seed them for new setups so all the fish all went right into quarantine tanks. I did loose a few fish and plants but most are doing fine.

Soon as I have my tanks full I will be getting rid of the extras so keep in touch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got around to making a video of my fish room. Let me know what you think. I know it's not the best video out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZVO0Bxjg3w

Already had someone asking about my Blood Parrots so will do a video of them later in the week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.