The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting back into keeping an aquarium after too many years away from it. I had a 55 with Discus about 20 years ago and have missed them ever since. I picked them up directly from Jack Wattley's home in Ft Lauderdale while on spring break. Life got busy and I had to take a break from keeping a tank.

Now I'm adding an addition to our home and decided to include a space for a tank dividing the kitchen from the den/living room. I'd planned to allow 48" and thought a 55 was what I'd shop for, but I just realized that a 120 is also 48" long!:icon_lol: So, that's wonderful because more water = more plants & fish!!

I found a 120 with predrilled corners used for $300 on craigslist. That seems like a decent price to me, yes/no ?

I don't know yet what else the seller might have to offer with it. Till I hear back I'm assuming nothing else.

If I need to buy lighting & filtration I will read here first. In the past I ran an undergravel plate along with a Magnum 330. I remember playing around with pushing/pulling (tried it both ways) through the U/G plate with the magnum. I know that not a mainsteam method, but my fish & plants stayed healthy.

I assume an undergravel filter is still considered "good" for plant health? As I said, "I'll be reading a lot here". Glad I found you all.

peace,
Glenn

·
Registered
720 Posts
Price sounds good on tank. I paid that much for my 32gal bare bones.

Undergravels are not used anymore. The plants send roots under the plastic or glass mat (whatever you used, typically plastic) and are hard to move. It also created anaerobic spaces when not used properly and a lot of 'stuff' would get stuck under it and cause problems later on.

Now we just use certain substrates like fluorite, eco complete, amazonia aquasoil, sand with additives, Diana Walstead method or just plain clown puke gravel among other things.

Also, over filtering is way better than underfiltering. And more waterflow than you think in some cases.

Things have changed a lot in the hobby. I used to use an undergravel too :)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome back to the hobby!

UG's can be used if you REALLY want to, but IMO can lead to more problems than they're worth (can get clogged up by plant roots). If you do want to stick with it, I'd recommend setting it up as a Reverse Flow with powerheads to minimize the issues. Most people these days go with canister filters, hang on back/power filters, or sumps for tanks your size. Since your tank is predrilled, a sump would be something to consider.

Probably your biggest decisions will revolve around whether you want to turn this into a high tech planted tank with a pressurized CO2 setup and higher light levels, or a low tech setup with no CO2. High tech allows many more plant species and much faster plant growth, but also more equipment costs and weekly (if not daily) maintenance.

Low tech will mean that you'll need to pick out just the right light fixture to provide enough light to support plant growth, but not so much that you'll need CO2. Low tech also means that you'll be a bit more limited with your plant selections, though there's still a nice variety to try out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After talking to the seller I realized that I didn't want a tank with predrilled corners, since it will be viewed from 3 sides. He also had an undrilled 120 for sale and the price was lower for it, but he's about three hours away and I'm not sure if I will have a chance to drive there before he gets another buyer. Oh well, at least I figured out I need an undrilled tank. It will be a few months before I have the space ready for a tank anyway, so I will keep reading here and shopping for a 120 that's closer to home.

As far as hi tech for plants goes I already know I will be going low tech. I can't justify the time or the expense for HIDs & CO2. I just want nice plants for my discus & angles to swim through which will have to be relatively low maintainence.

Will T-8's penetrate a 24" deep tank or will I need T-5's? How many? Is 4 bulbs enough or will I need more? I know, I know....I need to read up. :)

peace,
Glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.