The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this hobby and on my way of setting up a 10Gallon planted tank.

So far what I have:

Waterbox Cube 10 (10 Gallon / 41 Liter tank)
Ada Amazona version 2 Aqua soil as substrate
Hardscape with rocks and some aquarium safe wood branches

I ordered some aqua plants and I plan to plant them in, fill with water, with "Easylife" and "Easystart" to begin with. I also bought a testing kit to test the water.

Although I think I did quite a lot of research, I still have some questions in mind:

1.I know I should let it run and make water changes for three weeks, and test the water until it's in the right parameters before putting in any fishes, but how often should I change the water?
2.I ordered some snails (Neritina sp. and Zebra Apple), but because of delivery delays, they are going to arrive way sooner than my plants. How can I keep them alive and happy temporarily before adding into the tank? The fish store said I can already put in the snails on the third day, but since I'm now using aquasoil instead of gravel, I'm not sure if that's a good idea, since I heard the ada amazona ver.2 might have ammonia spikes at the beginning, and maybe that would be bad for the snails?

Your kind advice will be very much appreciated :)

Much love,
Loewe

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi. I do think adding snails to a new tank makes things more complicated. For one thing, you now have to avoid an ammonia spike, which is actually what you want (without live creatures in the tank) to get the biological cycle going in the first month. You may wish to get some liquid starter bacteria to speed up the cycle. Also, there is no slime or algae yet in a new tank, so your snails will need a little bit of food (an algae wafer or a piece of vegetable) eventually - but you should take the food out before it starts to degrade or else it will cause an ammonia spike, which makes me nervous - especially in a new tank with very little bacteria in the tank to neutralize it. I personally would not feed the snails anything for the first few days. Soon, the snail waste and melting plant leaves will help your filter and water mature. Do some small water changes (1 or 2 gallons) once every few days for a while. If it were me, I'd wait a month before adding fish, then add 3-4 small fish at a time once every 2-3 weeks. Good luck with everything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts