The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my WRGB2 and I am very happy with it! One thing I wasnt sure however is how high should the light stand at. Is there a magic height which it needs to stand at?

And also if you have more plants at the back of the tank should I move the light more to the back or should it always stay in the middle?

·
Registered
785 Posts
There is a magic height but unfortunately no one else can tell you what it is. It will depend upon how the plants that you have chosen respond to the position, intensity, spectral composition, and duration of your particular light. Some people use a PAR meter to help with figuring it out but even those folks will end up experimenting until they find "The Balance" for their plants in their tank. It is trial and error in your own tank and can take many months as your plants grow in...or do not.

Regarding front to back. Personally I have most of my rooted, faster growing plants toward the back of my tank so I have my light a bit more toward the back. It also helps with some tall driftwood pieces that look better with a bit of backlight shadowing for visual contrast.

Perhaps post some pictures to help others offer advice?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a WRGB2 and I set it so that it matches the height off the substrate that Chihiros has posted PAR values for on their website. That way I have a generally good idea of what type of PAR values my plants are getting. I think that corresponds to 55cm above the substrate

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, but what size WRGB2 do you have?

Based on the website I linked, they tested PAR of each WRGB2 at the following heights from the substrate:
WRGB2-30 = 40cm
WRGB2-45 = 40cm
WRGB2-60 = 55cm
WRGB2-90 = 55cm
WRGB2-120 = 60cm

If you don't know what your target PAR values are for your plants/tank, the following can be used
Low light - Up to 30 PAR
Medium Light - 30- 50 PAR
High Light - Over 50 PAR

If you don't have CO2, high light will cause lots of algae. Since the WRBG2 lights generally have at least 50 PAR at all mapped locations, if you are low-light then you need to drop the lighting intensity or increase the height of the light from the substrate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So here you go! This is my before and after as I set it up between meetings!!

and yes... I will be trimming the middle plant today :)
Is that chihiros RGB A601? How is the height of the light you have set? I have A601. Had tried lot of ways.. but the plants not getting ok still. Some plants looks pale 😢

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.