The Planted Tank Forum banner

Heavy stained (tannins) water, please help

11071 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Blue angel
I recently tried to do a Diana Walstad method tank, so far seems to be doing fine but the water is dark brown, like strong coffee, I used a cheap topsoil from Home Depot called EarthGro, I believe other people have used it (http://thegab.org/Plants/step-by-step-setting-up-a-walstad-type-natural-planted-tank.html) and capped it off with sea carib eco-complete substrate. so far ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and traces of nitrates
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Did you pick out the twigs etc before putting it in the tank? I've used the exact same soil in the past. I picked out as many twigs as possible, let it outgas for a few days, mixed in some crushed egg shell, and never had any issues w/ tannins. This was a few yrs ago, so I don't know if the soil formula has changed.

Anyway as stated, water changes will help a lot. I don't have any first-hand experience w/ Purigen but I've heard great things about it.

BTW, how deep is your Eco Complete top-layer?

· Registered
147 Posts
Hey ItsDubC, could you elaborate on the eggshell? How much did you put in?
Not much at all in my case. For a standard 10 gal w/ 1.5" of soil bottom layer, I crushed up about 1/4 of an egg shell's worth as fine as I could and mixed it in. The intent was to provide calcium long-term but honestly, I don't really know how it takes egg shell to decompose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.