The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an established 33g tank (36x18x12) with capped miracle gro substrate lit by a 2 x 36" T5HO canopy that has been running for the better part of the summer. The tank has Amazon Sword, a water lilly, java moss and some other unknown plant. It's stocked with ten Tiger Barbs, three Corys, two SAE's, one CAE, two Apple snails and many MTS.
http://i.imgur.com/vj8tm.jpg (mind the algae on the glass, it's maintenance day tomorrow.)

Water quality is spot on where I want it consistently but due to my current lack of c02, hair algae has gripped my tank and all swords are covered in it, although they still grow and thrive.
http://i.imgur.com/Cru55.jpg

Tomorrow, I am picking up a 10lb c02 tank, Green Leaf Aquariums Choice regulator and misc items from a local seller and would like to get it going on the tank asap but I'm afraid that if I add the c02, I'll have a giant hair algae outbreak from the c02 spike. Will that happen or will the plants take over? Do I need to do a dark period to kill the algae? Massacre my swords to remove the algae?

Just looking for advice please!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Too much light energy (imo) and betting the water column doesn't show much NO3 or PO4 (if any). My tanks get the heavy GDA on the glass when I run lean on phosphate (PO4).

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
adding gas won't eliminate the current problem but the use of it always helps plant growth.
how long has the tank been up dirted?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since June, roughly. I cannot remove the algae without removing leaves from the swords, but I'm willing to do that.

I will also have dry ferts with the c02 so I'll work on that as well.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I believe initial rush of nutrients is over with the tank being 5 months wet. What the soil is providing should be available mainly to root feeders now.

Doing 4-5 day total blackouts does work to knock down algae but creates havoc in the aftermath with all the dead organics in the water column.

3% H2O2 is cheap and effective if you are diligent in the application as is the use of excel in direct injection. You can work your way through a tank cleaning things up in about 3 weeks to a month.

Reducing the photo intensity by raising the light or if you can turning off some of the lamps. Cutting back to only 4 hrs a day as you battle the algae is a huge help too.

There are a number of tools you can bring to the fight while maintaining the tank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How often do you do water changes. Do you feed dry flake food to your fish. How long are you leaving the lights on daily. Well you may not like my advice but i suggest you trash those plants and start over with new plants. Or start another plant tank but don't use any of those plants in the new tank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Water changes are 30-40% weekly with a filter cleaning every two weeks. Lights are on an 8 hour cycle.

I'm not trashing the plants. I will drastically cut them back to allow new leaves to grow, but I won't out and out remove them because I don't think that's necessary.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i had some BGA on some of my plants. to prevent it from spreading, i took them out and sprayed with with some bleach cleaning solution. let it sit on the leaves for about 2 or 3 seconds, then washed with distilled water and placed them back in the tank. did this with a few plants a few weeks ago and everything is doing fine

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've heavily pruned the tank this afternoon in prep for the c02 and ferts later tonight. Hopefully by removing a substantial amount of the hair algae, I'll be less likely to have an outbreak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.