The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling nano tankers for feedback.

I am upgrading from my hydor mini (don't laugh). What do y'all use for <10 g tanks? I am currently looking at Eheim Jager, Fluval, and Hydor inline, something with minimal temp control. Pointers?

I do know I am not fond of substrate heating.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do know I am not fond of substrate heating.
Why is that? I've wondered about substrate heating for my next tank. That or inline. I've never really done either one and Would love to hear your experience on it.

I will have to look and see what we're heating my wife's 3 gal with. I don't remember. Since she won't let me put plants in there, I just feed her fish, change the water weekly, and don't pay much more attention than that.

:)

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I was just hoping to have small fish in my 3g that wouldn't require a heater. I can't stand one more Betta in the house with four already. Those belong to my wife and only one is filtered so I clean that one for her.

SteveU

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because I am lazy in messing with the substrate if I need to change the heater, and I have done that before.

Why is that? I've wondered about substrate heating for my next tank. That or inline. I've never really done either one and Would love to hear your experience on it.
Um...shouldn't your wife take care of her fish? :icon_surp

I will have to look and see what we're heating my wife's 3 gal with. I don't remember. Since she won't let me put plants in there, I just feed her fish, change the water weekly, and don't pay much more attention than that.

:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have hydor mini for my bettas. But I do need to seriously do something about temperature control. Three months from now the ambient temperature in my house isn't going to be high 70s. :flick:

I was just hoping to have small fish in my 3g that wouldn't require a heater. I can't stand one more Betta in the house with four already. Those belong to my wife and only one is filtered so I clean that one for her.

SteveU

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a Marineland 10w shatterproof heater in my kids 5g betta tanks. Preset at 78 degrees.

The Azoo titanium heaters are also pretty small.

Charlie

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Um...shouldn't your wife take care of her fish? :icon_surp
If I let her take care of the one with the filter she'd empty the thing out every week and wash the gravel in the sink like the others. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
414 Posts
For my 10g I use a Visi-Therm stealth 25W. I like the Stealths since they're nice and compact plus shatterproof. For a 10g you might want to get a 50W.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have Hydor minis going for my bettas. I am not too turned on by Azoo, for some reason.

Here's one I am also considering: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11368&pcatid=11368

Looking around for my 3g... Marine Depot has a few small heaters.

External control...
http://www.marinedepot.com/Azoo_Titanium_Heater_Titanium_Heaters-Azoo-AZ60067-FIHTTH-vi.html

More like a heating pad. I don't need much heat though.
http://www.marinedepot.com/heaters_hydor_mini-ap.html

SteveU

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've had this heater for a couple years now, and it died last week. They sent me a replacement, no questions asked, at no cost to me. I'm a big fan of companies that honor their warranties, I doubt Azoo would do that. :p The heater worked OK in a 5.5 gallon, and very well in a 2.5 gallon. I keep it buried under the substrate, but the shape and size makes it easy to dig out if you have to.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
For my 10g I use a Visi-Therm stealth 25W. I like the Stealths since they're nice and compact plus shatterproof. For a 10g you might want to get a 50W.
Is that the one that floats if the suction cups break loose?

SteveU

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Marineland get a second recommendation! How accurate you have found the temperature to be with the factory-set temperature function?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've only had the one, but it was very accurate in the 2.5... never above 79° or below 77° until it died. In the 5.5 gallon, it fluctuated more environmentally. i.e., when the room was cold (55°)the heater couldn't catch up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts