The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen these heating cable (that you put under the gravel) being sold in the market for planted tanks.

I also have read about this in Dupla booklet.

Is it necessary to have one of this in a planted tank ?

Say I got 2 tanks, what are the differences if I have one tank with heating cable and the others dont ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Unless your living in a perpetual cold climate there would be no reason to add the cables. Focus more on light, What you plan on growing and a fert regime to feed your plants.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
As previously stated, the consensus with US aquarist is they are unnecessary (and I believe Tom Barr has said this too). Yet I believe they are more common with European hobbiest. Perhaps they keep the ambient room temps colder necessitating the heaters. The main argument against, is roots tend to get tangled in the lines and uprooting/replanting is a pain with them.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Bruce, have you tried the Hydor inline heaters. IME, very reliable and accurate. PS, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never really paid any attention to the brand but I suppose I should. I have had three heaters fail in the last few years. I am curious about the cable’s reliability. I find heaters not only unreliable, perhaps because I don’t buy quality equipment, but also unsightly. I would much prefer less visible equipment in the tank.

[and thanks]

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The cables are not intended to heat the water column. As for reliability I have no experience with these systems. I also found it difficult to find a system in the US. Robert at Aquabotanic turned me on to a guy that touted using them, George?. Also had systems available for purchase, can't remember all of the details.

The heater cable idea is using convection (heat) to circulate the substrate. Keeping roots warm may also benefit some plants, but again also depends on the room ambient. A good piece of foam will insulate any tank.

Glad to say this is one plug I don't have under my tank. I opted not to purchase any cables system. Focused on CO2 HW instead. :)

Not trying to dissuade any information your looking for. Just trust me it's a bit of an up hill battle with this HW as not many have used them.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Anyone have an opinion about reliability? I have had a number of cheap heaters fail in the past. Perhaps these cables are more reliable?
I'd have to say NO. I used a cable heater in my 100gal tank and one day it just didn't work anymore. Let me tell you, it is so much easier to replace a cheap heater than a cable heater. :hihi:

Anyway, for larger tanks with canister filters, the Hydor inliners are pretty sweet.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I know with indoor plants i use heating pads to stimulate root growth...would this be a plus for the heating cables in the substrate or is root growth in aquatic plants not that important?
There is no evidence that heating cables in the substrate improve root growth or general plant growth. Don't waste your money on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.