The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a 20 long a week ago and I have an Aqueon preset 150w. I like the compact size compared to the adjustable models. Not sure of the thermostat tolerance on the presets, but mine keeps the tank at 76 and dips to 74 when it gets cooler at night. Ambient is around 70 year-round. The tank is covered. Heater is next to filter intake and heat is spread evenly based on my readings in different parts of the tank.

I would like to supplement the heat but not sure of what size to get because I thought I was already oversizing at 150w.

Should I consider moving to a 200w and keeping the 150w as a backup?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just get an Inkbird heater controller and use the Aqueon . You can set the controller to what ever temp you want and it will control the heater to maintain that temp .

Reactions: Bettatail

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! This preset is supposed to be at 78 but it's only keeping it at 76 or below (and not running constantly) so I think it's off by 2. I went ahead and got an adjustable 100w and keep the preset as a spare for emergencies.

Also that heater controller is a great idea. That would keep the heater from failing on because it cuts power based on temperature?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Also that heater controller is a great idea. That would keep the heater from failing on because it cuts power based on temperature?[/QUOTE said:
Correct . It will prevent a run away heater . I have them on all my tanks and will never have another heater without one .

Reactions: JeffreyD
1 - 4 of 4 Posts