The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Preferably you'd be able to house your heater in your filter. Any reliable mid grade or above heater with a thermostat up to 90° should do okay. With a tank that large you're going to want to make sure there's no temperature dead zones in the tank and adjust accordingly. I think I had eheim heaters when I was doing large cichlids set ups but I can't remember. Good luck!! Would love to see updates pics!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Eheim Jager TruTemp heaters are by far the longest lasting heaters THAT I HAVE USED. The thermal overload protection is something that not many of the cheaper heaters seem to have. After many stories of woe the Jager TruTemp heaters are all I will use any more. (I really should have listened to the members of this forum 10 years ago and just purchased Eheim Jager heaters from the start). The Eheim Jager heaters are currently $37.72 on Amazon which is a really hard price to beat.

For about $30 you can buy a Inkbird temperature controller. I would recommend this. For my 180g tank with 3 discus (soon to be two more) I have my Inkbird set for 83 degrees. One of my two Jager 300w Trutemp heaters is set for ~82 degrees. My tank stays at a constant 81.5 degrees only varying a few tenths of a degree. The second Jager 300w heater is set for about 80-81 degrees and only comes on during water changes and such where the water needs to be heated more rapidly.

If either Jager fails hot the Inkbird will keep the bad heater from boiling the tank. If the primary 300w Jager fails cold the second heater will take over, the tank will drop to 80 degrees and I will easily see this condition when checking the thermometer on the inkbird. If both heaters fail cold the Inkbird alarm, which I have set to 79 degrees, will start going off . This has worked quite well for me. I also could not find an accurate thermometer that I could trust for less than $30 so I might as well get the protection of the Inkbird temperature controller along with its accurate thermometer.

2 x $37.72 (Jager 300w) + $30 (Inkbird) = $105.44... in my book that makes this a great deal!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.