The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small 5 gal tank. I purchased a small heater for the tank. My concern is the heater can not be adjusted. Will this heater cause my tank water to get to hot for my fish? It's suppose to be used in small tanks. I've been leaving it turn off now for the last 2 months, haven't lost any of my fish. water temp has been staying around 76. I have guppies, tetra's and a small sucker fish. All fish are very active.

I lost 3 female guppies when I first set up the tank. I think I was putting in to many fish to soon. I may not have let the tank cycle long enough also.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a small 5 gal tank. I purchased a small heater for the tank. My concern is the heater can not be adjusted. Will this heater cause my tank water to get to hot for my fish? It's suppose to be used in small tanks. I've been leaving it turn off now for the last 2 months, haven't lost any of my fish. water temp has been staying around 76. I have guppies, tetra's and a small sucker fish. All fish are very active.

I lost 3 female guppies when I first set up the tank. I think I was putting in to many fish to soon. I may not have let the tank cycle long enough also.
76 is fine, though it helps to be able to raise your temperature when treating certain illnesses. How many fish/what kind do you have in there? It sounds like it's overstocked. And the sucker fish isn't a pleco or a chinese algae eater is it?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I try to keep mine at 75 or 76 but it depends on the fish you have too. On my 10 gallon, Its heater on its lowest setting it 80 in the tank. I unplug it on hot days. I only worry about the cool nights. But I know my heater is bad, I'm just waiting to get a new one. I personally like the Stealth heaters. They don't have to be turned off during water changes and they are unbreakable (no glass).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heater

Thank you for the fast response to my post. This is my first tank. I probably do have two many fish. I really don't know what they are. LOL I will try my best, I pretty much just went in the store and pick this and that. I know I have 2 male and 3 female guppies. I think 5 more are in the tetra family, 2 more I think maybe something called dino's! I don't think the ugly fish that sucks on the glass and everything else in site is called a chinese sucker fish, It's real name I think begins with a P and I couldn't pronouce it if I wanted to.

I plan on buying a 10 gal tank real soon and setting it up right this time. I will pay attention also to what type of heater I purchase also. I've been doing monthly water changes. I use bottled water and aquasafe to take out the harmful chemicals. I have the water tested frequently and it's always good.

Every 7 to 9 days I use 7ml of TLC for aquariums and so far the fish that are in the tank seem happy and healthy, they are very active. My main worry was the heater. I turned it on before I did my first posting and the tank was already at 80. I unplugged it, because I was worried that it would keep getting hotter. I feed my pets once a day and just enough that they can eat right away. Will a 10 gal be big enough or should I go with a bigger tank?

I do not plan on putting anymore fish in the little tank (thank goodness)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Even a 10 is pushing it there. I would actually go with at least a 15 to 20 gal tank. But then again, my theory is "get the biggest tank you have room for and can afford." :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.