The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In search of a heater recommendation for my 55g low tech tank.

I don't mind buying online or going to stores like PetSmart and PetCo (or fish stores within 30mi of Los Angeles).

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Aqueon pro 200 watt and a heater controller. I build my own heater controllers but to buy one a good one is Finnex HC-810M. It has a high and low alarm. Good piece of mind for a few dollars.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other recommendations?

I have seen some bad reviews on the Finnex controller, they say the temp wire is too short and would mean the controller has to be very close to the tank.

As far as heater recommendations, anything else before I go to petsmart? I have a $10 of $30 coupon :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I use a Hydor ETH 300 on my 55 with my SunSun HW-302 and I couldn't be happier with it, although it is oversized because we don't turn the heat on over the winter. The ETH 200 would do the job just fine--they cost the same anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I could buy this, but what about the Finnex controller - I heard the temp sensor wire is too short and my tank is 21" high?

Is my heater I chose too cheap or should I look into the two mentioned last - Hydor and Jager?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Wait, what? You are going to leave us hanging like that? :wink2:
I use the Inkbird ITC1000. The nice thing about these is they also havea cool side which can be used to run fans are pump water through a chiller. The controllers can be gotten on ebay or amazon. They are mounted in a project box with a standard electrical outlet. Here is a write up on the by @PlantedRich: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...ing-cheap-digital-temperature-controller.html

They are inexpensive to build, very accurate, and like I said they can be used to cool as well as heat. Oh and they are good for 1000 watts of heater.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Thanks I'll have a look. Been threatening to get new solder bits for my soldering station for a while now. A project might be just the thing.

Edit, ok, so you can only hook one probe up to each Inkbird?

I suppose I could just make a microprocessor based one that could sample more than one pin. I'd like something centralised that can take 8 or 9 tanks.
I'm still old school working with PIC and machine language. Tried my hand at the USB sized programmers that TI brought out, but it makes me feel dumb.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
No soldering or the like required for these. Just the ability to cut some holes and very basic wiring. ANd they are a one tank only solution. Where they are really useful is if you have a house that gets warm in the summer. Example: I want to keep my shrimp colony nice and cool but my house gets warm in the summer, I own a very old row building in a small town and central air is very cost prohibitive. I am building a canopy for their tank and at one one of the canopy I am going to put a vent and the other I am going to put a vent with a couple of fans with the exhaust facing out. I plug the fans into the outlet wired into the controller and when the tank gets above xx degrees the fans kick on. Very inexpensive and should work well. I have also thought about a home made chiller from one of those small electric coolers and running a pump from the cool side of the controller that kicks on when the temp hits xx degrees. So these controllers give the hobbyist some nice options if needed and can be built for less than 30 us dollars.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I wonder if it will work with a small tank if one slaps a peltier cooler on the back somewhow.

I'd like to try shrimp, but our tank temps are pegged at about 84/86F any time of day for at least 2 months over summer.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I wonder if it will work with a small tank if one slaps a peltier cooler on the back somewhow.

I'd like to try shrimp, but our tank temps are pegged at about 84/86F any time of day for at least 2 months over summer.
I think there are youtube videos on the type of cooler you are showing in that image. I have the same problem with temps which is what prompted me last fall to start looking at cooling options. I have a few more weeks to decide then I need to git r done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts