The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i purchased a 200watt inline heater today by hydor... its for a 18 gallon tank though... it is the smallest one i could find... will it change my water temp too quickly

·
Registered
711 Posts
The rule of thumb for choosing the right heater wattage is five times the size of the tank so in your case would be a 100 watt.
There should not be a problem with using it in your tank except if its a cheap heater and prone to fail then it just might fail in ON position in which case can cook your fish if its not caught in time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Right now I'm using a 200 watt heater in a 25 gal.tank,so if I were you I wouldn't worry about using that heater specially its a good quality one,just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use the 200w hydor on a ADA Mini M its about 5g. I haven't had any problems yet. I did have a Hydor inline fail on me and heat my 60g to over 90 though. Hydor replaced it for me and gave me a free extra one so I sure this doesn't happen very often. I haven't heard of any other people having problems with them so I wouldn't worry about it. I would buy another one again since I hate having heaters in my tanks.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.