The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200 watt, via aqua titanium tube heater it can be submersed, is it ok to place it horozontaly in the back of the tank about three inches above the substrate to better hide it? also can this heater burn my plants and how close should I plant them to my heater?

·
Registered
233 Posts
No, That is where I keep my heaters and I have never had a problem. I use auqaclears and penguins (without the biowheel.) The temperature of the tanks stays where I want to be and I have never seen a burnt plant.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mounting your heater horizontaly is a more efficient way of running it anyway, so, I would just mount it that way. (I ALWAYS mount mine that way) This way you aren't just heating up a "column" of water & the heat wanting to escape straight up... Yes, Heat rises... LOL!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've done my metal heater both horizontial and vertical. Horizontial is said to be more efficient but it does eat up space along the back of the tank. Vertical is the opposite. I've decided the vertical is fine if you have good water flow in the tank and it takes up much less space because it's aligned the way the plants grow. I've placed it several inches from the filter intake and I've got plenty of water movement from my filter. I don't notice any significant gradients of temperature with either alignment. With my setup, it doesn't make much difference. The one thing I will caution you on is turning it off during the water change. Plant leaves in contact with it can get cooked black.

Do what makes you feel best. Either way will work.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i always unplug my heaters first when i do a water change now. i forgot to unplug one on my 29 gallon and halfway through the water change i started to smell something funky. i unplugged the heater as soon as i noticed but when i filled the tank back up it cracked and when i tried to take it out it only half the heater came out. all this brownish liquid came out and went into the tank. so i had to do a second water change and then did another one the next day. ugh a very annoying mistake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ours is placed vertical in our 75 gallon but i am sure if you want to place it horizantally to be out of the way it would be fine.

I think that unless you were trying to grow very extremely delicate plants that grow according to temperature it wouldn't matter a lot where you placed the heater.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.