The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i first purchased a Hydor Theo Heater 200W for my 36G bowfront, because it was cheap. a tip to newcommers, DO NOT BUY THIS HEATER. now that i have checked it has bad reviews online. it doesnt heat to the temp thats set. instead it overheats. well now thats over.

I will now purchase the overly popular Marineland Visi-Therm Stealth:bounce:.

i will place it horizontally near the intake of my filter which is about 15" in the water. so the heater will be submerged 15" in the water.

my question is what about the electric cord. is that also submersible, or do i need to cover the cord with some kind of tubing? the cord will be 15" in the water, is that safe or dangerous for the cord? thanks all :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
The electrical cord attached to the heater will be perfectly fine submerged in the tank (except for the other end of course :) ).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks , i was curious because i never saw the cord in any tank pics i looked at, hence the question., i guess they hide it that good??

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Has anybody had a Pleco sit on a horizontally mounted heater before? The reason I ask is, I had a Bristlenose that would hang from my vertically mounted heater, he would stay there until it got to hot. I just wonder if they would be smart enough to learn not to lie on the heater.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here are 2 more heater question, if anyone knows.

my airstone is right under my heater, will it kill my heater, and is it anyway good for water to heat evenly?? (i have a 2" Silica Airstone)

and my airline tubing is right next to my heater, what if it touches it, will it melt?? ( i have a marineland visi therm stealth heater)

Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Has anybody had a Pleco sit on a horizontally mounted heater before? The reason I ask is, I had a Bristlenose that would hang from my vertically mounted heater, he would stay there until it got to hot. I just wonder if they would be smart enough to learn not to lie on the heater.
My 2 otos hang out on the unheated end of my horizontally placed heater.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the clear up guys, :red_mouthi will try to reroute my tubing and try to hide it somewhere, maybe buy little suction cups and put it on them to keep it from moving around, thnx again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts