The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 46 gallon acrylic, rena xp3 filter, low light. I understand acrylics retain heat better than glass. Any recommendations as to which heater is best? Size/wattage? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Or a Hydor ETH inline.

Nice to have less equipment in the tank. =)

BTW- Welcome to TPT!!
Get the hydor ETH inline 300 watt 5/8". It costs more than the Rena inline but, it heats the water going into the tank, not when it's leaving. I heat a 46 gallon in the basement with the Hydor. The ambient temperature will drop into the high sixtys in the winter but, the tank temperature never varies from the 78 degrees I have it set at. I should have bit the bullet and spent the $50.00 years ago. Yeah, it's not in the tank.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a Rena Smart Heater 300W and a Hydor inline 300W for my two 40 gallon acrylic tanks. Both work extremely well. Both tanks' temp stays at 76. Period. Because acrylic tanks retain heat really well, my Rena only turns on occasionally. If you have a black background like me, you'll hardly notice the Rena.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why would you not recommend the Hydor ETH 200W, it is rated for 26-53gal?
The Hydor ETH 300W is rated for 53-80 Gallons.
Just wondering as I just bought the 200W for my 40 Gallon Glass Breeder.

Tankster - yes, go inline (Hydor ETH) and keep as much equipment out of the tank so it does not distract from the look.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think either 200 or 300w would be OK on a 46gal, but I'd go with more wattage if you keep the house cool during the winter.

If you get the 200w one, make sure you get the version that has the 5/8" diameter so it will fit the Rena tubing (which I think is the 201?). The 200w comes in 2 sizes; one fits the smaller Eheim tubing and the other fits the Rena.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would the inline Hydor ETH reduce the gph of the output flow?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tanks to everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.