The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few minutes ago I started syphoning out some water from my tank... I forgot to turn off the (glass) heater. I started hearing little sizzling sounds, and stupid as I was i turned off the heater and then dunked it into the tank to cool it down. The bottom half cracked and fell off. I collected all the glass from out of the aquarium, and the heater is still intact and functional, albeit without an outside glass covering (hard to explain).

Two part question:

1. Is any part of the heater poisonous to fish/humans? It doesn't look like it, since it is basically one of these:

2. Will the heater still work for the aquarium, or will it get too hot/ be too dangerous for the fish?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would not use a broken heater period. I beleive this would be an electrical hazard. Maybe try a stealth heater, they are plastic and shut off automaticaly when removed from water (should still unplug them first though)

·
Are these real?
15,698 Posts
1. Is any part of the heater poisonous to fish/humans?

2. Will the heater still work for the aquarium, or will it get too hot/ be too dangerous for the fish?
Not sure if you are serious, but if so, no, please don't use a heater without the glass around it. Poisoning isn't the issue. You will electrocute your fish and yourself unless you are lucky and use a GFCI outlet which will trip before anything more serious happens.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I just realized after posting that you could get electrocuted.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks guys. I just realized after posting that you could get electrocuted.
A good thing to realize BEFORE it happens.

I'll second Justin's recommendation for the Stealth heaters. They have served me well, even when I forgot to unplug them before the water change. Can't say the same for my old Ebo-Jager.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
This is a simple thing that can be avoided quite easily.

When mounting the heater mount it down close to the substrate in a horizontal position. Mount it below the point where you do water changes. That way it's always covered with water.

Such a simple solution that most people miss it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
hehe I had that happen where my heater blew cuz of carelessness in my 6gal tank. I was changing water when I forgot to unplug the heater and then I started hearing sizzling sounds and thought nothing of it and then I started putting water back into my tank with my hand in the water mind you to prevent the water from disturbing the substrate when suddenly the water reached the middle of the heater when I hear CRACK!!!!! plop! and i see the heater coil exposed and the bottom half of the glass tube in the substrate.... Luckily I wasn't electrocuted since my hand was still in the water when it exploded.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

When mounting the heater mount it down close to the substrate in a horizontal position. Mount it below the point where you do water changes. That way it's always covered with water.

It was a complete overhaul of the tank, all water/substrate/everything had to come out; I changed it from a planted tank to an Angelfish breeder with a tank divider in the middle. Good plan for the future though.

Glad to see you still here Rex, I remember having a Patriots vs. Eagles pre-Superbowl discussion back in '04.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts

Horizontal? Make sure your heater is submersible first. =)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Horizontal? Make sure your heater is submersible first. =)
heheh I'd hope people have learned better then to use the damn HOB heater/firehazards. I alway felt like it was a gaurenteed break with those things.
altho the stealths don't have the indicator light they are built and calibrated well. So when you set it at 80 you can rest assured that you are going to be within a couple degrees. I really dig mine. And am not interested in any other brands aside from the inline hydror.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts