The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the tittle says , should I put the probe in the sump with the heaters or in the DT ? My first sump and I can't find a definitive answer . Thanks ,
Lee

·
Registered
483 Posts
Technically speaking since the DT is what you are trying to manage it should go there. From a practical standpoint a lot of people do fine with the in the sump. I think whether it's OK in the sump or not is a matter of flow. Higher turnover keeps the sump closer to actual tank temp. Since my sump is relatively lower flow I put the probe in the overflow. Seems to be working well so far.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
It is something that I would want to do a bit of checking. One point to consider is that the sump may vary a few degrees from the tank but how much problem that is, will depend on your thought. If the sump varied an extreme amount but always varied the same amount, it would be quite easy to set the controller to cover the spread and not worry. Where you want the temp to be 75 and the sump is 65, you can still put the probe in the sump, measure 65 and know the tank is 75.
I prefer to put the probe where I want to control the temperature but that is more to cut down the thinking than a real problem as long as the difference in the two is steady. In most cases it will not bother many fish if the temperature does vary a few degrees. Pretty normal in nature but I do like to hold it steady.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too keep my temp and Ph probes in the sump. Only time it's ever even remotely an issue is when you turn your return pump off for water changes or cleaning and you don't have heat going up to your DT if it's also in the sump.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all . Lot of food for thought . I should have sump ready tomorrow so I can begin to see which is best for my tank . Great advice as always from PT .

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have mine where the dt water dumps in the sump and the heaters by the return pump.

That is pretty much the way I went with . 1 heater in the return side of sump , 1 heater in the overflow box and probe in DT where water goes into overflow...about 4 inches below top of water . This setup is holding the DT and sump at the same temp .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.